Ruins from a church built in 1754

/ Ruins from a church built in 1754 #31  
And having spent a good part of my life working in forensics I guarantee that if you get the same account from a few people they are lying or there is a fabrication of evidence and they are being intimidated by someone.

Yeah, the stories get pretty wild and fanciful sometimes. And no two match!

/ Ruins from a church built in 1754 #32  
Of course my point was to say "don't expect history books to match your description of anything". There is no conspiracy to write history in shades of left or right.

Arly,,,, loves to understand and read history ,,,,, A

/ Ruins from a church built in 1754 #33  
Accurate history should be taught in schools. My great grandfather immigrated from England to Carbondale Pa near Scranton just after Civil War. He opened a grocery store when he was older, not wanting to work in mines.

My wife's grandfather, an immigrant from Wales, died in a coal mine near Wilkes Barre in the 1930's.

/ Ruins from a church built in 1754
My wife's grandfather, an immigrant from Wales, died in a coal mine near Wilkes Barre in the 1930's.

Wilkes Barre and Scranton always make me shudder, even today...

That said, never realized it, lot of shipping terminals up there now due to 81.

/ Ruins from a church built in 1754 #35  
A few years ago my wife and I went to Carbondale, I hadn't been back since the 60s. There was a historical society with town pictures, no mention of my great grandfather and his store. I keep forgetting but I need to forward pictures I have to them.
Then I wanted to visit family members graves. There was a coal mine fire years ago that burned under the town. Lots of houses fell in and we were told the main cemetery went in also!

/ Ruins from a church built in 1754
There was a coal mine fire years ago that burned under the town. Lots of houses fell in and we were told the main cemetery went in also!

Sounds like Centrailia.

Centralia mine fire - Wikipedia

I remember when they were looking at relocating people in the 80's. I took my boys there a couple of years ago after I took them to the Pioneer coal tunnel in Ashland (if you ever get up that way, pretty neat ride into a old coal mine to see how they used to mined coal and gives you an idea of what they men actually had to do back then).