Rude Monday Morning Awakening

/ Rude Monday Morning Awakening #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
I woke up for work this morning and heard what I thought was our water softener regenerating. It's in a walk in closet in our manufactured home along with the well pressure tank. Upon further inspection, I found that the pressure tank had sprung a leak and was spraying water everywhere! I ran outside, shut off the water under the house and turned the power off to the well pump. A trip to Menards and a lot of swearing and we're back to normal now. The tank only lasted about 5 years.

There's no easy way to put a drain under the tank but I did put a pan under it so I can tell more easily when the new one starts to leak in another 5 years. I think the old one had been leaking slowly for awhile.

Kevin

/ Rude Monday Morning Awakening #2  
If you had one of the old style tanks that used used air head pressure above the water, then I can relate. Our first tank lasted 3 years and corroded through. The next tank was much smaller, and the water was contained in a bladder. Not 100% sure how it works, but it lasted about 10 years, which with our hard water and earthquakes is pretty good.

/ Rude Monday Morning Awakening #3  
Nice work. You can get an electric with battery backup, leaking water sensor. If there is a next time, you'll have some early warning.

/ Rude Monday Morning Awakening #4  
You can buy a water sensing alarm for short money. I put one near an enclosed water heater in a MH I used to own.

/ Rude Monday Morning Awakening #6  
A trip to Menards and a lot of swearing and we're back to normal now. The tank only lasted about 5 years.

Isn't Menard's great? You gotta love a place where you can buy a pressure tank, a pair of jeans and a can of beans!! It's my favorite store!

Glad you got it all fixed!!

/ Rude Monday Morning Awakening #7  
Of course it was Monday morning. :D

We have one of these WellMate polypropylene reinforced tanks. It's nine years-old now and seems to be holding up.

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/c-35-composite-well-tanks.aspx

I use the same kind. Cost more up front but a lot cheaper in the long run. It's very unlikely it will ever leak. The only way they can fail is when the bladder leaks. I know of some in service for over 20 years.
I was replacing the steel ones in 2-3 years and it's very inconvenient to deal with it during the week.
The last steel one I had is now my air compressor tank

/ Rude Monday Morning Awakening
I'll try to remember the composite tanks in about 5 years when my current one fails :-(