Rubber PTO Protector?

/ Rubber PTO Protector? #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
I'd like to buy a fitted rubber sleeve to go over my PTO when it's not in use...like most of the winter months. If you look at new tractors and attachments on dealer's lots, some of them are shipped with a rubber cover over the PTO to protect it. does anyone know of a place that sells these?

/ Rubber PTO Protector? #2  
I don't recommend rubber for several reasons. Metal covers are available that snap around mid-pto and rear pto shafts. These covers are shields, not sheaths.

Rubber has a tendency to shrink, and that can make removing it a real PITA. Cutting it off is often the only resolution. Rubber and cloth tend to stick to each other, usually when the rubber thing is turning. That can make your gloves, shirt sleeve or pant leg get wound up in it before you realize what has happened. Yes, pto levers can get bumped and safetys shortcut. You don't get too many true believers admitting they just had a close call. The ones in the Emergency rooms missing an arm give the best support for this suggestion. Yes, its just a stub shaft, but all these tractors would really like to kill you.

/ Rubber PTO Protector? #3  
I think he means what is essentially a piece of closed end hose that is slid over the greased spline. I have one of them on my pto spline. It keeps the dirt off when not using the pto. I would guess a dealer would have them...

/ Rubber PTO Protector? #4  
Aren't they called "PTO Protectors"?
Redbug described what I mean...I've seen them at TSC, IIRC.

/ Rubber PTO Protector? #5  
Thanks Roy! I did not know they sold them at TSC. One of my friends asked about mine a few months ago and all I could say was at the dealer.

It's good to have a layer of grease on the splined shaft since it allows pto hookups to connect/disconnect much easier.

/ Rubber PTO Protector? #6  
We have a small black plastic cover over the rear PTO. The plastic seems thin and kinda cheap...It came with it on from the dealer...

/ Rubber PTO Protector?
thanks I'll check TSC and the dealer. I saw them on some new attachments at TSC - figured they just came on these to keep them damaged in shipping but I'll check to see if they sell them.

/ Rubber PTO Protector? #8  
This is an old thread but here is the Kubota part number for the rubber pto shaft cover. I forget what it's called but it not what you would think.

Here's the number 31220-25820

Here it is and it's called a cap to shaft.
Kubota CAP TO SHAFT Part #31220-25820

Kubota rubber covers seem to be more durable than Deere and, if you oil or grease up the PTO before you put it on it's easy to remove.
Messics shows in the $6.50 range and that's OK considering the dirt they keep off the pto shaft.

/ Rubber PTO Protector? #9  
Will this also fit the Mid-PTO gear shaft?

/ Rubber PTO Protector? #10  
Will this also fit the Mid-PTO gear shaft?

I can't recall at the moment but am pretty sure the mid PTO is a smaller diameter. We'll have to wait until someone else responds that is better informed. I''ve never seen one with a cap on it.

If it is too small you could either just spray it with oil (grease would attract and hold dirt) and leave it or just find a piece of rubber hose from the Home Depot or Lowes bulk hose area that is the correct size.

In either PTO situation, oil it up first or you'll have a hard time getting the cap off.