Rpm's and long downhill runs

/ Rpm's and long downhill runs #1  

Hoobie

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota mx5100 Ford 641
I understand running my tractor mx5100 at higher revs is best for the health of the Diesel engine and the hst tranny. However my woodlot is a three quarter mile climb up hill from the river to the hardwood forest. When I come down that hill I am usually towing a one cord plus of hardwood which is pushing all the way. Now I can control my descent with the treadle at high rpm's but I feel better throttled back to 1500 rpm's. I just don't feel right with a screaming engine burning more fuel when gravity is doing the job.
But I always wonder if I am doing the right thing or am I doing harm. Does the hst need more power to hold he tractor back without stressing it?
My old gas burning Ford with a gear transmission I always used to gear down and close the throttle all the way.
Any thoughts?

/ Rpm's and long downhill runs #2  
Downhill, I'm usually at 1600 rpm on the B2601. About 1800-2000 going up.

PTO work is done at 450 rpm on the rear PTO: 2300 rpm on the engine.

/ Rpm's and long downhill runs #3  
Throttle down gear down as you wish, it's not going to hurt not to be turning high rpm especially on a down grade.

/ Rpm's and long downhill runs #4  
first off, i’d not worry about the engine. The tractor is made to idle some times and use low rpm some times. Otherwise, it’d be like generators that just start up and go right up to 3600 rpm with no throttle adjustment. tractors are made to idle sometimes…..

as for the hydraulics, if running at a lower rpm slows the thing down going down the hill, do it. Tractors are made to go down hills.…. and use drive system braking while doing it. Tractor brakes are NOT made to act as the primary slowing thing, as cars are.

you will not hurt the pump or hydraulics any more than you’d hurt something in an old gear tractor. Only if you overload either one will you hurt them.

you need high rpms when pulling, not when being pushed…..

/ Rpm's and long downhill runs #5  
I understand running my tractor mx5100 at higher revs is best for the health of the Diesel engine and the hst tranny. However my woodlot is a three quarter mile climb up hill from the river to the hardwood forest. When I come down that hill I am usually towing a one cord plus of hardwood which is pushing all the way. Now I can control my descent with the treadle at high rpm's but I feel better throttled back to 1500 rpm's. I just don't feel right with a screaming engine burning more fuel when gravity is doing the job.
But I always wonder if I am doing the right thing or am I doing harm. Does the hst need more power to hold he tractor back without stressing it?
My old gas burning Ford with a gear transmission I always used to gear down and close the throttle all the way.
Any thoughts?
I had a 70's IH 2500b tractor/loader. It's hydro. The operator's manual tells you to run it at full throttle for full braking control. So I always did.

The machine is made to run at PTO engine speeds under load for hours and hours. One 3/4 mile run down a hill with a load with the engine at higher RPMs is not going to do anything to cause stress on that machine, while running it at lower RPM will cause the hydraulic fluid to heat up more because it won't be pumped faster through the hydraulic cooler.

I'd say throttle up to PTO speed on the engine, use your HST pedals to control decent rate, and throttle back down when you reach flat land.

/ Rpm's and long downhill runs #6  
The main reason why they want us to run at a fairly high RPM on our diesel tractor is to not get carbon deposit in the exhaust and getting it clogged up ... for short amount of time its fine to throttle back the RPM you just don't want to do it for extended amount of time.

/ Rpm's and long downhill runs #7  
I’d probably bump it up a little past 1500 rpm’s but not much, it won’t hurt anything.

/ Rpm's and long downhill runs #8  
A lot of guys with tractor skidding winches run their machines at low rpms, to better calm down the winching action. Too fast at higher throttle settings, I've read. Presumably, fairly long periods at or near idle. Hmmm?

/ Rpm's and long downhill runs #9  
Have owned a tractor for serval years now, and forgive me IF I am wrong, but I have fallen unconsciously into using RPM and HST according to conditions of use (need) .... If I need more RPM I throttle up, if I need less RPM I throttle down, if I need more HST engagement I press pedal harder, if I need less engagement I use less pedal pressure..... With the cost of fuel getting stupid it would seem to using less RPM (power) there might be more savings in fuel than cost of rebuilding tractor is some far distant future maybe for the beneficiaries of my trust...

/ Rpm's and long downhill runs #10  
The more I read the less I know . Kevin