Round Pen Material for Horses

/ Round Pen Material for Horses #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
I'm looking for local sawmill to get some rough sawn oak for a round pen to train horses. Just thought I would ask here in case anyone knew of a mill in east central Illinois or west central Indiana. I haven't checked lumberyards yet. Does anyone know if they would carry rough sawn oak?

I'm open to suggestions if you can recommend a better material.

/ Round Pen Material for Horses #2  
Oak will work fine but you won't find it anywhere but a sawmill and be prepared to pay through the nose for it.

When you build your pen I would make it solid or go with panels. I've seen alot of horses hurt with wood roundpens that weren't solid. The oak is near impossible to break and if one gets caught up in between the boards it's not a good thing.

/ Round Pen Material for Horses #3  
<font color="blue">Does anyone know if they would carry rough sawn oak?
</font>

NT,
Do you have an Amish community near you? They are a good source of rough sawn lumber usually?

TK

/ Round Pen Material for Horses #4  
A few more sources No Tresspassing, is places that supply scaffolding to construction companys and construction companys that do underground work/digging and one more is pipe yards! We have a ole man that goes to these pipe yard and gets what they call cribbin, he sales it for barn material,etc! Its rough 2x6's! I built a stall out of it and it's jam up & cheap. Anyway places like that are good cheap sources and I'm sure U'r area has them too! I had to drive almost an hour to this place that sells used scaffold boards but got them cheap to! After they have been used a certain amount of time the companies can't use them for scaffolding anymore so they sell them to a dealer that sells them cheap too! I've had cribbin up 10 years and looks as good as when I "DRILLED HAMMMERED W/BIG HAMMER" in barn!

/ Round Pen Material for Horses #5  
My wife came up with a different idea for a round pen that she wants me to make. Fabricate panels out of PVC that look like the steel corral panels you can buy at farm supply places. Then use velcro to connect the panels. You can move it if you need to, it breaks easy if a horse gets nuts and goes through it, never rusts.

/ Round Pen Material for Horses #6  
I saw one of those pvc roundpens one time. A horse got his leg caught in it and tryed to go over the top. He broke the whole thing down at a 45 degree angle and came back the other way and came down right on one of the posts that went right through him. I would strongly reconsider the pvc deal if it was me. I don't know about the price of your horses but before I'd do a pvc I'd just buy a good panel roundpen that I could move.

/ Round Pen Material for Horses #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My wife came up with a different idea for a round pen that she wants me to make. Fabricate panels out of PVC that look like the steel corral panels you can buy at farm supply places. Then use velcro to connect the panels. You can move it if you need to, it breaks easy if a horse gets nuts and goes through it, never rusts. )</font>

I would be concerned with the horse breaking the pipe, then becoming impaled on a piece of jagged broken PVC pipe.

I'm building my pen out of locust fence posts (they'll last 50 years) and 1X6 white oak fencing. I cut my own posts, and I can get the oak in my area for $350-$400/1000 board feet.

/ Round Pen Material for Horses #8  
I was thinking the pvc would be safer because it would break easier and the horse would sail through, but maybe not. Our horses aren't all that expensive but we don't want to create situations for them to get hurt. Our neighbor's horse went through a 1x6 three rail fence and ended up running the jagged end about 2 feet into his chest, barely lived. Maybe the indestructible fortress round pen is the only safe option.

/ Round Pen Material for Horses #9  
<font color="red">Maybe the indestructible fortress round pen is the only safe option. </font>

That is absolutely 100% true. A horse that is wild enough to break through a roundpen is not going to stop once they break through. If you are by a busy road that horse may end up on the highway or be so scared it will run through anything and anyone in it's way. Plus once a horse learns they can do something they will do it again. If the horse breaks through that roundpen then in the same situation they would do it again and again. Not a good idea to have a breakable roundpen. Also make sure it's at least 6' high. Anything less and most horses will try and jump it.

/ Round Pen Material for Horses
How does $1.50/BF or $12/1" x 6" x 16' sound for a price on white oak?

Kevin