Rough roads and full loader buckets

/ Rough roads and full loader buckets #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
It sure would be nice to slow down the hobby-horse bounce when I'm traveling down rough roads with a front bucket full of dirt.

I'm told that commercial tractors have a "ride control" setting that allows the bucket to move a little and reduces the bounce. Apparently a bypass moves a portion of the fluid supporting the loader arms into and out of a pre-loaded? fluid accumulator. The result is the bucket rides more level and so does the tractor.

Does anyone have any knowledge on how this works?? Or better yet, has anyone devised such a system for their tractor?
thanks, rScotty

/ Rough roads and full loader buckets #2  
I didn't even know of that system. I've been running loaders for the past 20 or so years on and off.

I just slow down a little bit and that stops it.

/ Rough roads and full loader buckets #3  
Ride control works exactly as you describe. Given the knowledge of what an accumulator is and where to source one, it wouldn't be difficult to install one on any loader lift circuit. Might want to include a solenoid operated valve to provide on/off capability for the function.

/ Rough roads and full loader buckets #5  
I believe companies make ride control for articulating front end loaders. This technology could be applied to smaller equipment also. It is like RickB stated, an accumulator, a solenoid valve for enabling or disabling this and usually some orifices or flow restrictions to dampen or tune the system to meet each machines requirements.

Google " loader ride control" and this was one site.

http://www.hydraforce.com/Literature/Solution_Brochures/English/WheelLoader_Solution.pdf

/ Rough roads and full loader buckets
I believe companies make ride control for articulating front end loaders. This technology could be applied to smaller equipment also. It is like RickB stated, an accumulator, a solenoid valve for enabling or disabling this and usually some orifices or flow restrictions to dampen or tune the system to meet each machines requirements.

Google " loader ride control" and this was one site.

http://www.hydraforce.com/Literature/Solution_Brochures/English/WheelLoader_Solution.pdf

Wow! they have really gone beyond in find-tuning their system. There must be a much simpler system available. Near as I can tell, one can get a lot of the benefit of ride control by simply adding a few off the shelf parts to the lift arm hydraulics.
That's the approach I hope to try.
rScotty

/ Rough roads and full loader buckets #7  
Adding weight to the rear of the tractor will also make a big difference.

/ Rough roads and full loader buckets #8  
Kubota calls theirs the KRS or Kubota Ride System. I have it on my M135GX because of moving bales. Not as nice as Caterpillar's on their wheel loaders but it is simple. On-off ball valve connects to an accumulator.

/ Rough roads and full loader buckets #9  
Correct. When I porpoise down the road, it is because I have too little weight in the rear and a lot on the FEL. Properly balance things out, make your rear tires a tad squishy but leave fronts at max PSI because you have big load on the front and don't want to roll the tire off the rim.. And, slow down until you do the above.

Adding weight to the rear of the tractor will also make a big difference.