Rough Idle then she stalls.

/ Rough Idle then she stalls. #1  

dmccarty

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4700
Well I finally got the ring to move and replaced my fuel filter. JD came out and under warranty replaced the wire from the battery to the starter. Seems like the assembly can melt so they are replacing them on at least 4700s. Mine was fine though.

So with a new cable, coolent, fuel filter, oil and oil filter I started up the tractor to put the FEL back on. I'm puttering around picking up the compressor after blowing out the engine and radiator and I notice the tractor seems to be puttering.

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

It must be my imagination but I look at the tach and the engine is running rough. I kick up the throttle a bit and it slowly stalls. I took off the filter to see if it was on correctly, seemed to be and put it back on. Restart with same results.

I THINK what is happening is that the fuel cutoff switch is half closed. I had to use some pliers to move the switch which is not goodness. It moves now but I'm wondering if that switch is broken.

10 gallons of fresh fuel with Power Service. The fuel is free flowing and the ring is at the bottom of the bowl.

Any other ideas on what is happening?

I am going to have to call the dealer and have them back to visit. I NEED that tractor to help put up a play set by Christmas for the kids and I don't have time to wait. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Later,
Dan