Rototilling price per hour

/ Rototilling price per hour #1  

fatjay

Veteran Member
Tractor
Not enough
Had a guy ask me to till his garden. I was thinking $200/hr, 1hr minimum, time starts when i start my tractor. My tractor 14hp with a 48" tiller, so it's not fast. Am I selling myself short? Or asking to much.

/ Rototilling price per hour #2  
It sounds a little high to me. I guess it depends upon how long it will take you. A big garden tilled for $200 may be okay but if it takes 2 hrs, that may be too much. I charged my neighbors $75 hr to mow. When I raised it to $100 I lost half of them. And that's okay ~ I was doing it for fun as much as fuel money.

/ Rototilling price per hour #3  
Gotta be a troll post.

Get as much as you can.

/ Rototilling price per hour #4  
That sounds pretty high to me. I once sort of figured out how much my tractor costs me an hour to run. I tried to figure everything in. Initial cost, residual value, maintenance, fuel etc. but not any insurance. I have a 5 year old JD 2025r and figure $15 to $20 an hour. That’s break even. I don’t own a tiller but even figuring that in I’m well under $30 an hour. So figuring your tractor shouldn’t be any higher per hour that’s paying you $170 an hour for your wages and profit on your machine.

/ Rototilling price per hour #5  
What does it cost to rent a tiller of any size, then how long to do the whole area, given the width of the machine.
I was asked to till a back lawn a few years ago in prep for lawn seeding. It was the day before the Super Bowl.

Yes I found his buried cable TV... Ooops. He had to cancel his party.

/ Rototilling price per hour #6  
One hour min at $200 seems steep for most small gardens. Heck, it may be a couple passes and 15 minutes of work. I’d probably look into the minimum being a stopping fee, to load, travel unload etc… and that minimum also cover say the first 30 minutes. Then have an hourly fee above that. This way a single pass garden is worth your time, but there is also enough value in it for the customer. I have a tiller and tractor mainly to till 1-2 acres annually, several times… when I was quoted the cost to till it, it was about $200/hr. So that’s fair… but making $200 the minimum won’t be a value to most simple gardeners. And, then maybe it’s also not worth your time to travel there.

/ Rototilling price per hour #7  
If it's a good friend/good neighbor go do it for free and build on that relationship if on the other hand it's someone that you don't know or know that well you can't hardly work for free and only you can decide what your time and equipment are worth.

/ Rototilling price per hour #9  
How hard and rocky is the guy's garden? Some places you could break a tine or two trying to till it.

/ Rototilling price per hour #10  
I have a 40hp cabbed machine & pile of attachments with a truck & trailer to haul it all. Along with all the proper commercial insurance. I generally quote jobs at $100-125/hr. 2 hour minimum. Some regulars fer billed by the hour. Most people get a fixed price quote. Make sure to include transport time in your quotes. It's my side hustle so pays for tools & toys. I'd have to advertise a lot more to make a living with it.

Make sure you have the proper liability insurance before doing anything for hire.