Rototiller

/ Rototiller #1  

cooperman

Tractor
Cat D4, Ford 6610, JD 990 and Agco GT 75
I’m looking to buy a Rototiller to run behind a Kubota MX 5200. Any suggestions regarding width and forward or reverse rotation?

/ Rototiller #2  
Forward rotation roto-tillers are probably 85% of the market.

Forward rotation roto-tillers push the tractor forward.

Most would purchase a forward rotation roto-tiller 12" - 18" wider than rear tire spread in order to be able to till near fence lines, garden margins and for general efficient time use.

Reverse rotation rototillers are probably 15% of the market.

Reverse rotation rototillers are primarily for tilling really tough ground, such as animal grazed pastures and fire breaks.

Reverse rotation tillers are much more power intensive. The rotating tines are fighting forward progress of the tractor. Many would buy a reverse rotation roto-tiller the width of rear tires or perhaps 6" wider.

In use, rear rotation tillers vibrate considerably working hard ground.

Both about equally effective used in annually tilled gardens.

Last edited:
   / Rototiller #3  
I have 48Hp, 72” forward rotating tiller. The tractor weighs in around 5000lbs and doesn’t get moved around, even in hard clay virgin ground.

I will say, 48Hp is the minimum I’d use in virgin, heavier ground. It took me three passes to get the ground as I wanted for planting.

/ Rototiller #4  
I would get the forward rotation so if you have any rocks they
will not get jammed in the tines and as for size you would want
one that's a bit wider than your tires

willy

/ Rototiller #5  
I have a Troy Bilt - walk behind tiller. Reason being - outside to outside on my tractor rear tires is 80 inches. I would need something like an 84 or 96 inch monster. Never be able to do my garden properly with such a setup.

I looked at a 96" - PTO driven one once. Had a three or four speed transmission and could be operated - forward or reverse. The price - around $15,000.

/ Rototiller #6  
I have the Dirt Dog 206, 6’ and my 40 hp (34 hp at PTO) has no trouble with it. It barely covers my tracks so I think a 7’ would be ok for you.

/ Rototiller #8  
I’m looking to buy a Rototiller to run behind a Kubota MX 5200. Any suggestions regarding width and forward or reverse rotation?

A 6' or 7' tiller would work fine for that tractor. I would not go any larger.

A forward rotation tiller will throw a lot less dirt at you and bounce over rocks a lot better than a reverse rotation tiller will. However, it won't till as well into hard ground. I prefer a forward rotation tiller as I use a tiller to turn plow furrows into a seedbed in the spring. The plow did all of the heavy lifting the previous fall so the tiller doesn't have to work very hard, the forward rotation tiller not throwing dirt forward and the ability to bounce over rocks is the big plus here.

I have a Troy Bilt - walk behind tiller. Reason being - outside to outside on my tractor rear tires is 80 inches. I would need something like an 84 or 96 inch monster. Never be able to do my garden properly with such a setup.

I looked at a 96" - PTO driven one once. Had a three or four speed transmission and could be operated - forward or reverse. The price - around $15,000.

A 6' tiller would actually work okay with your tractor. My tractor's minimum outside rear wheel width is the same as the width as your tractor and I use a 6' tiller that I already had without issues. The tiller fluffs the soil up enough that it covers the few inches of tire track.

The dividing line between the typical tillers and the very expensive ones is between 7' and 8'. The 7'ers are 6' tillers that are a foot wider and the difference between a 7'er and a 6'er is the difference between a 5'er and a 6'er. The 8' and above units are far larger, heavier, and more expensive.

/ Rototiller #9  
If you're patient, you can use a pretty good-sized tiller.

My tractor has ~30 pto HP, and while I definitely make good use of the hydrostatic in low gear, I can chop up hard clay with this monster (first pic from before I used it). Slow going on the first pass but very effective anyways.

tiller-4.jpg
PXL_20230527_022640939.jpg
PXL_20230527_022705342.jpg

There are a number of very similar threads on this site, a quick read of them may suit you well.
FWIW, check local auctions. This one set me back $1000 including auction fees.