Rototiller sized for 25hp tractor

/ Rototiller sized for 25hp tractor #1  

Rcsask

Bronze Member
Tractor
none
Is a rt 1360 66 inch rototiller too large for a 26hp hst with a cab kioti tractor? Will be needing to break up some Grass and weed covered lawn for garden plot and some for fire break.

/ Rototiller sized for 25hp tractor #2  
I would say it is probably too much tiller for that tractor. I think a 48" is more the right size for a 25hp (remembering that your 25hp tractor does not have 25 hp rating for the PTO).

You might get away with a 60", but in ground that's never been roto-tilled, it would be under-powered, IMO.

/ Rototiller sized for 25hp tractor #3  
Also - what's your soil? Nice deep friable loam with a couple of inches of lawn it MIGHT do. Clay, a 48" might struggle.
General ROT is 5 foot per HP.

/ Rototiller sized for 25hp tractor #4  
I'm inclined to agree that it's a little big for your tractor. However, I run a 60" tiller on clay and gravelly clay with a 23 HP tractor (about 19 HP at the PTO). I do it real slow and make multiple passes if I need to go deep. Be sure you have a slip clutch and it is adjusted properly.

/ Rototiller sized for 25hp tractor #5  
More importantly, how many flanges does it have? How many tines per flange? What's the rotor speed?

Those things make a HUGE difference in the amount of HP the tiller will require.

SR

/ Rototiller sized for 25hp tractor
More importantly, how many flanges does it have? How many tines per flange? What's the rotor speed?

Those things make a HUGE difference in the amount of HP the tiller will require.

SR
It has 4 tines forward rototation 6 rows of tines. It's a pretty good price for a frontier which ive been told is a very good rototiller.

/ Rototiller sized for 25hp tractor #7  
At the risk of everyone getting mad at me, I'm going to tell you that 4 tines per flange is a cheaper design, the better tillers have 5. At least 4 tines take less HP to run, but they don't do as good of a job tilling either.

Perhaps for your purpose, it would be fine, but I think it's a bit big for your tractor..

SR

/ Rototiller sized for 25hp tractor
At the risk of everyone getting mad at me, I'm going to tell you that 4 tines per flange is a cheaper design, the better tillers have 5. At least 4 tines take less HP to run, but they don't do as good of a job tilling either.

Perhaps for your purpose, it would be fine, but I think it's a bit big for your tractor..

SR
Ok good to know going to keep looking its cold up here now anyways and won't need it till spring so got lots of time

/ Rototiller sized for 25hp tractor #9  
Actually now may be the time to try and pick one up at a late season auction or private sale. Prices tend to rise come spring when everyone wants one. I bought my 4' er used in fall at what people considered a steal.

/ Rototiller sized for 25hp tractor #10  
A rototiller should be sized to cover your rear wheel tracks. Your 25hp tractor should be able to handle a 48-54” tiller. I used a 54” Woods brand tiller for 20 years with my old 25hp tractor and it worked fine. But I wouldn’t recommend going larger.