Rotella T Synthetic?

/ Rotella T Synthetic? #1  

gator

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701 HST
Read lots of posts of people using Amsoil synthetic, just wonderin if anyone has used the Rotella T synthetic.Saw it at Walmart for 20 bucks a gallon.I use Rotella T and am wonderin if the synthetic is worth the cost.Comments appreciated.Read about it at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rotella.com>http://www.rotella.com</A> but manufactures are only trying to sell there product.

/ Rotella T Synthetic? #2  
I am using Shell Rotella SB 10W30 Synthetic Blend... I went with the SB more for the lighter weight issue as most stores only sell the Rotella T in 15W40... I live up in the North Country so I am using the lighter weight oil for ease of starting in the Winter.... I also went with it because it is only a buck more than the Rotella T. I pay between $6.50 and $7.50 a gallon. I am staying away from the Rotella Sythetic at this point until I learn more... I believe the Rotella T Full Sythentic is a 5W40 blend. I talked to a couple of "oil" experts and they said that the extenders used in the 5W40 to get the range is somewhat extreme... There are many postings on this subject if you go back over the past year and it is explained in much greater detail about the polymers etc. than I just covered so I won't go over that all again....

/ Rotella T Synthetic? #3  
I have been using the Rotella 5w-40 Synthetic Oil in my 99.5 F-250 Powerstroke Diesel this winter.

It is certainly a expensive oil change at approx. 4 gallons. I wanted to see a difference in cold weather starting, as I have always used Rotella T 15w-40 oil.

However, during this non-winter (although it is snowing right now), the coldest it got was 10*F, for a day, not a week.

I did not notice any MPG increase, nor engine noise difference.

Next oil change, I will be returning to Rotella 15w-40.

WALT

/ Rotella T Synthetic? #4  
Glad to read your post. I have the same truck and have been tempted to change over to the Rotella synthetic. But it costs enough to change it w/ the regular. Thanks for sharing.

--Brad

/ Rotella T Synthetic? #5  
I think those folks that operate at the extremes (XXXXXL Hot/Cold Temps) are the people that would justify that cost.

However, at less than 1 gallon of oil in my BX 2200, I have used Mobil 1 motor oil & the Super UDT fluid (4+ gal) for the hydraulic system, since the 50 hr service.
It's likely that the tractor will outlast my truck, and last winter (more seasonable) the tractor could start snow clearing with a minimal warm up.

Thats been my experience with synthetic oils.

WALT

/ Rotella T Synthetic? #6  
The better synthetics keep things clean inside, but conventional Rotella T was already one of the best conventional oils for this. Hard to see how a synthetic version would improve things here, since regular Rotella is so good. I use synthetics (Red Line) in my car but have stuck to conventional Rotella T in my grey-market Mitsubishi. You're supposed to change the oil every 50 hours (or whatever the manufacturer calls for) anyway. Believe and act on these tales of dramatically increased oil changes at your own risk if you fail to follow the manufacturer, especially if the equipment is still under warranty. If the engine blows while under warranty but you failed to change the oil as recommended, the manufacturer isn't gonna want to hear, "But I was using a synthetic! I thought it was okay to go longer without changing it!"

/ Rotella T Synthetic? #7  
I use AMSOIL in all of my equipment and I buy it a lot cheaper than you might expect.
ALL of my equipment that has an oil pump gets the AMSOIL "Ultra-Fine" oil filtration system and oil analysis performed at least every 100 hours.
Performing oil analysis testing instead of oil changes is better and in most cases cost a whole lot less.
I am in the commercial lawncare/light landscaping business and I take good care of my equipment but push my equipment very hard.
I have also noticed an increase in fuel efficiency in my large gasoline powered equipment, Here is an example: a 25 horsepower KOHLER engine went from 1.6 to 1.25 gallons per hour on fuel consumption and the oil temp dropped 30 degrees using 0w-30 AMSOIL and the ultra fine oil filtration system.

Visit this website and request a free catalog:

www.AmericanMadeOil.com

/ Rotella T Synthetic? #8  
Why do you say I use synthetic in anything that has an oil pump, not in all my equipment. Are you saying that you should not use synthetic oils in Small gas engines without pumps ?

/ Rotella T Synthetic? #9  
You can go longer with synthetic, most people change their auto oil at 3,000 miles (probably not needed even with conventional oil), look in the owner manuals and you will see most recommend something like 7,500 miles, easily done with synthetic. Your tractor, I am sticking to the 50 hour till warranty expires and then going to a 100 or once yearly with Mobil 1. J