Rotella 5w-40 synthetic in Montana 4940?

/ Rotella 5w-40 synthetic in Montana 4940? #1  

Gavman

Bronze Member
Tractor
Montana 4940
I maybe should put this in the oil/lubricant forum, but thought I'd try here since there are Montana dealers here. Has anyone used Rotella 5w-40 synthetic, or the Royal Purple equivalant in the Montana tractors, particularly a 4940?

Would there be any reason not to try using it, and if not, should I use a blended synthetic oil first to transition to the fully synthetics?

If it is ok to start using synthetic oil, what should the change intervals be?

Thanks,
Gavin

/ Rotella 5w-40 synthetic in Montana 4940? #2  
Gavman said:
I maybe should put this in the oil/lubricant forum, but thought I'd try here since there are Montana dealers here. Has anyone used Rotella 5w-40 synthetic, or the Royal Purple equivalant in the Montana tractors, particularly a 4940?

Would there be any reason not to try using it, and if not, should I use a blended synthetic oil first to transition to the fully synthetics?

If it is ok to start using synthetic oil, what should the change intervals be?

Thanks,
Gavin
I discussed this with my dealer who happens to be in Kansas. They recommend using AMSOIL synthetic 15W40 in my 4940C. I searched out the local Amsoil dealer and found that it was in stock at a local auto parts dealer.
I changed my engine oil over to the Amsoil and I couldn't be happier. It is a fantastic improvement. My engine runs cooler as a result as well. I've been doing some heavy plowing of my hay fields as I am reseeding them. I've been pulling a two bottom 14in plow and my 4940C has been working very hard.

My dealer has done a lot of research on synthetics and he told me that Amsoil was his number one choice. He's been in the business a long time and I trust his recommendations

You won't be sorry converting over to which ever synthetic you chose.

BTW I have no connection to Amsoil whatsoever, I'm just a pleased user of their product. I plan to convert my F350 desiel to synthetic on it's next oil change.

Glenn.

Last edited:
   / Rotella 5w-40 synthetic in Montana 4940?
Stampeder,

Do you think you could ask your dealer how important it is to stick with 15W40. I am wondering if the 5W40 might be a little better protection?