Rotary rake options????

/ Rotary rake options???? #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
I posted about a Vicon rotary rake that one of the dealers is trying to unload now in a previous thread and the lone reply so far got me to start thinking about other brands. I have Vicon, Kuhn, Claas and Krone dealers in my area. What ever rake I end up going with needs to hold up well and have a good dealer for parts. Are there any other brands you guys can think of that I have not mentioned? The major equipment lines seem to have went to mainly wheel rakes now as their only rake option (other then NH which still has a side delivery rake).

I originally wanted a rake similar to the Kuhn 6002 but have since changed my mind and now feel a single rotor would be a better option (I am assuming it will be more affordable, more manuverable and generally more useful in odd shaped fields). I would like something in the 13-14' range but it needs to be easy to transport down busy roads. The Krone has a fairly simple system where you can fold the arms up that would stick out past the tractor. I haven't looked the others over too close yet. I like trailer units but most of these rakes are 3pt systems which I can see being very useful occasionally. How well do the 3pt units work in triangular shaped fields compared to the towed models? Are there any other items I should think about when comparing these rakes? Some of my fields have rough spots so what ever rake I get needs to be built well and able to take some abuse till I can finally redo all my fields the way I want them (very big project).

Last thing, is there any reason I should consider the double rotor units that can make two windrows or one large windrow over the single rotor units? If I went with a double it would only be a max raking width of 17' anyway or two 9' swaths so it isn't a huge item but I could see it adding up on large fields. I just worry about the size of the rake on some of my smaller and odd shaped fields.

/ Rotary rake options???? #2  
Miller-Pro which is now owned by Arts Way. I would put them up there with any other brand. If you ever want to go with 2 rakes IMO they have the bests system. It is a towbar that connects 2 rakes together instead of a huge monster always double rake. This way is you wanted to you could buy a rake now, then down the road get another rake, then the bar.

I like Kuhn also.

http://www.artsway-mfg.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/MP_Rakes_8-10.pdf

/ Rotary rake options???? #3  
I'll reply once more about my experience with the Kuhn 4120. I can't say I have enough experience with other brands to help with a detailed comparison though.

The rake has been a huge step up from a side delivery rake. Mine is a trailed model, great to be able to raise it over windrows. I would definitely say you want a bogey wheel model, they ride 500% smoother than the single wheel (per side) rigs. For those triangular fields, it works ok - you can cut a pretty tight 180 with it if you're careful.

The one downside to mine is the transport width - it's wide. When I go down our small country road most of our hay fields are on, I own the road, period. Kuhn does make a variation with some removal tines and guards that fold up, but to be honest I'm not sure if I'd bother folding it up except for the couple of fields I have to go out on the main road to get to. That might sound a little backwards - going narrow only on the wide roads - but I'm more worried about visibility and excess speed of other vehicles causing problems rather than width.

Finally, my neighbor up the street has a Kuhn 6002, and it's a big rig! He has very large fields and he can rake some serious hay with that thing. But I can't see how one if those would work for you if you're worried about small and/or odd shaped fields - it would never work for what I do.

/ Rotary rake options????
BeeferMan said:
I'll reply once more about my experience with the Kuhn 4120. I can't say I have enough experience with other brands to help with a detailed comparison though.

The rake has been a huge step up from a side delivery rake. Mine is a trailed model, great to be able to raise it over windrows. I would definitely say you want a bogey wheel model, they ride 500% smoother than the single wheel (per side) rigs. For those triangular fields, it works ok - you can cut a pretty tight 180 with it if you're careful.

The one downside to mine is the transport width - it's wide. When I go down our small country road most of our hay fields are on, I own the road, period. Kuhn does make a variation with some removal tines and guards that fold up, but to be honest I'm not sure if I'd bother folding it up except for the couple of fields I have to go out on the main road to get to. That might sound a little backwards - going narrow only on the wide roads - but I'm more worried about visibility and excess speed of other vehicles causing problems rather than width.

Finally, my neighbor up the street has a Kuhn 6002, and it's a big rig! He has very large fields and he can rake some serious hay with that thing. But I can't see how one if those would work for you if you're worried about small and/or odd shaped fields - it would never work for what I do.

Thanks, I didn't mean to ignore your other reply, just wanted a dedicated thread for it.

jagyzf said:
Miller-Pro which is now owned by Arts Way. I would put them up there with any other brand. If you ever want to go with 2 rakes IMO they have the bests system. It is a towbar that connects 2 rakes together instead of a huge monster always double rake. This way is you wanted to you could buy a rake now, then down the road get another rake, then the bar.

I like Kuhn also.

http://www.artsway-mfg.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/MP_Rakes_8-10.pdf

I forgot about them. My local dealer has a used Miller pro tandem rake set up just like you described. I will take a closer look. One advantage to that system is if one rake breaks you can unhook and keep going

/ Rotary rake options???? #6  
I forgot about them. My local dealer has a used Miller pro tandem rake set up just like you described. I will take a closer look. One advantage to that system is if one rake breaks you can unhook and keep going

Yes. I have a friend with a single miller pro and another tried the dual set up for a couple of days and really liked it over the Kuhn and other tandem set-ups. The friend with the miller pro rake really seems to like it. Rake is at least 6 years old and he likes it. I was just talking to him about it a few weeks ago.

/ Rotary rake options???? #8  
I'll 2nd the miller pro.

As others have said I like the set up that even at a later date you can set it up as a double rake, or if you have the double set-up us it as 1-2 single rakes. Seem to be built as good as any rake out there.

If your looking used, there were a couple of years that I believe Miller-Pro made rakes for Deere and they were sold under the frontier badging.

BeeferMan said:
Sorry, didn't mean that to sound like I took offense... I'm just mumbling... :cool:

No worries, I just felt bad for not actually acknowledging your post

/ Rotary rake options???? #10  
I've been looking too. I've been told several times the heavy kuhns (not sure which numbers) when new and looked after will last a long long time. Also been told if there is a dealer nearby, Pottinger make the most reliable heavy duty rotary rake and the little gauge wheel at the front that they have a patent for makes a really difference.

Some folks like the rakes made in New Holland, can't think of the name but at least up to now they just use an enrossi gearbox which can be had on cheap enrossi rakes too.

I've also been told not to buy a used rotary unless you really know what to look for. Friend has been burned replacing cam tracks and followers on two used rakes now (His were claas).

All the models I've been told to be very careful of have exposed cam tracks.