Rotary Power Harrow for BCS

/ Rotary Power Harrow for BCS #1  

farm23

Silver Member
Tractor
PT-1430, Wright Z-turn mower, BCS 853
I have a 853 BCS with many attachments. Does anyone have any experience the Rotary Power Harrow? I have an Organic produce farm and the BCS is critical to our operation. The Power Harrow -R2 - as on Earth Tools' web site seem like a good idea but I wonder if anyone has any real world experience. I have the tiller and it works great so I wonder if the Harrow is worth the money.

Thanks;

/ Rotary Power Harrow for BCS #2  
I dont have experience, but I know Jean Martin Fortier, who has just published a new book about market gardening, swears by the rotary harrow.

He just wrote about it in Growing for Market. I am convinced except I was quoted over $3000 so that's going to have to wait.

/ Rotary Power Harrow for BCS #4  
I do not have an R2 harrow (though I do sell them), but I worked for a neighbor when I was in my teens that had a 12 foot Lely Roterra 3 point mounted rig. There was nothing better for preparing a seedbed for new seeding (alfalfa hay). It gently stirred the soil to kill weed seedlings, busted up clods, and firmed the bed with the rear roller. I'd really like to find a 15 foot power harrow and modify my corn planter to hook to it on a gooseneck for weed control & bed prep *just* before I put the seed in the ground.

/ Rotary Power Harrow for BCS #5  
I bought a used 29" R2 Rinaldi two weeks ago and have not had an opportunity to use it yet. I am looking forward to using it when it gets warmer and drier here in NC.

Bill in NC

/ Rotary Power Harrow for BCS
wstr75 let me know when you have had an opportunity to use. I have also been looking for a used one as the new ones are very expensive.

/ Rotary Power Harrow for BCS #8  
Ran the power harrow tonight on bald or balding spots on my lawn. I set it for about 1/2" (12mm) depth and it made a good seed bed while not destroying the existing grass clumps. I am a happy boy! Easier and safer to use than my 30" rototiller. Rocks just squiggle out from underneath the Rinaldi without throwing.

The only downside in my 30 minutes of use is the this implement is HEAVY. I essentially do a full military press when turning or maneuvering the tractor & implement and this is with a 35 pound weight bolted to the front brush guard rails. My Rinaldi power harrow is the 29" (740 mm) version and weighs 210 pounds (95.5 kg).

Regarding power, the power harrow does not use much power, at least not at the shallow depth it was set. I was running my BCS 853 11 hp Lombardini (now Kohler) diesel just above idle and there was no engine lugging.

I've been wanting a power harrow for three years and finally snagged one at a good price. I am tickled pink.
Bill in NC

/ Rotary Power Harrow for BCS #9  
Ran the power harrow tonight on bald or balding spots on my lawn. I set it for about 1/2" (12mm) depth and it made a good seed bed while not destroying the existing grass clumps. I am a happy boy! Easier and safer to use than my 30" rototiller. Rocks just squiggle out from underneath the Rinaldi without throwing.

Bill in NC

Bill, I'm glad that you found a deal on a used model, and are happy with the purchase. Having dodged a rock rocketing out of my rototiller more than once, I can also appreciate the increased safety that a vertical axis tillage implement provides.

But, do you really buy the whole 'reduced soil disturbance' & 'no hard pans' lines put forward by the power harrow advocates? While I have not yet seen a power harrow in operation, I can't really see how a knife slicing horizontally through soil (i.e.- a power harrow's operation) is substantially gentler than a knife slicing vertically through soil (i.e.- a rototiller's operation). Either way, that slice of the knife can create a hardpan if the implement is overused or the soil is too wet. But if used sensibly and in moderation, either implement can kill weeds and incorporate amendments without causing too much damage.

Yes, a rototiller will 'invert' soil within the tillage zone some, but I try to manage my whole root zone as a biologically-active, high-organic-matter community. So how much does it matter whether some of the soil that starts out at ~1" ends-up at ~4" or even ~6" after the rototiller pass? In fact, when I'm spreading lime and manure and compost, that's exactly what I want to happen.

I'm asking these questions not to denigrate your purchase Bill. In fact, if I found a deal on a similar used 29" power harrow I'd be all over it, since I have a love for multiple redundancies, backup equipment, and intriguing hardware. But at $2300 for a new model, I think that the machine has to be over-rated.

-otus

/ Rotary Power Harrow for BCS #10  
Otus, I have heavy red clay here. I grew up in Eastern NC where the soil was friable and easy to work. We had a Farmall 140 with a double bottom plow and it pulled all day long in second gear without skipping a beat. Here in Central NC my Farmall 140 struggles to pull the same plow in first gear. Speaking of plowing, we did not know any better in the Sixties and plowed as deeply as possible and were unknowingly making hardpan and wrecking soil structure. In so far as knowing the soil structure consequences of using a power harrow, all I know is: a. Yes, it is likely creating a minor amount of compacted soil as the fingers rotate, but it cannot be any worse than using a rototiller with its wiping action on this clay soil and b. it loosens the soil sufficiently to get a seed bed established without trying to kill me with tiller jump. I got hurt two years ago when my tiller took off with me dumbly holding on and subsequently slamming into the rotating tines. I have a knee replacement and was lucky the large open sore on my shin did not get infected. I've got a lot of respect for my BCS tiller these days.

My aim nowadays is to get stuff growing and putting down roots and as well as lots of green matter above the ground. Stuff that grows puts down roots and those roots loosen the deeper soil layers and inject self-made organic matter into this clay via their eventual decomposition. But to get stuff to grow, one has to first have a seed bed where the seeds can be spread out, covered-up, warmed by the sun, kept moist long enough to germinate and to have a chance to get off to a good start. This is why I coveted a power harrow. I live in clay. Clay is fickle and reluctant to provide good seed beds. Where I grew up, you could create a seed bed two days after a rain with only a hand hoe. Here, you have to wait a week (or longer) and all a hand hole can make is pock-holes for transplanting already grown plants. Running the power harrow today three days after the last rain in the drier spots I was able to create a worthy seed bed for planting grass seed in my lawn. To repeat myself, all I want to do is to get green stuff growing, to keep the ground covered with green growing stuff and to thus increase the organic mass in the soil via roots of the green stuff. The power harrow appears to be the ticket for my clay.

Bill in NC