Rope cinch

/ Rope cinch #1  

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B6100E Kubota L 2501 Kubota T1460
What do climbers use for a safety cinch on their ropes that only allow one way of freedom unless they use some sort of positive release?
I bought the guardian fall protection kit and am not at all satisfied with the mechanism they use because it doesn’t actually lock the rope in place until there is tension on the rope that would happen during a fall.
Here is a picture of it.
I want to decide when the tension is lessened on the rope, I want to squeeze or release a mechanism every single time that I wish to move any perceptible distance on a roof.
I don’t want the stress of wondering how far I gotta drop before the rope gets ahold of me.
Sorry if this question isn’t related to this forum, I’ve simply removed myself from any unnecessary online jibber jabber and this is one of very few I post in anymore
If it helps I tie the rope off on my tractor that is on opposite side of building
Thanks

Attachments

• 69717C61-F7F9-4F41-A7E6-3C39F3DF0C74.png
    69717C61-F7F9-4F41-A7E6-3C39F3DF0C74.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 109
Last edited:
   / Rope cinch #2  
Any mechanical device needs to be “set” before it will arrest a fall. It will lock up faster than you think, as long as your rope is properly managed you won’t fall far at all, more likely you’ll feel a swinging sensation as gravity drags you to directly below your anchor more than any falling sensation. If that device is properly rated and from a reputable company I would not worry about the device.

/ Rope cinch #3  
I searched fall protection kits a few months ago. Can't remember the brand, but remember some of the comments in the ratings complained about the fall protection robe grab slipping where a different brand that was similarly priced didn't appear to have those complaints. I haven't used the one I bought yet to be able to say if it slips or not.

/ Rope cinch #4  
Set up a trial.... Find a tree or pole and set up a "fall" from maybe 2 or 3 feet above ground and see how it performs... You may be surprised...
Any fall protection device that has any friction on rope going up is going to be a pain in the butt to use as you will be having to always work rope through device as you are trying to climb.... IF you don't like it or don't trust it, don't climb...

Last edited:
   / Rope cinch #7  
For fall protection in while following a line over dicey terrain (as opposed to vertical climbing) we often just attach ourselves to a rope with a loop of cord using a prussic knot. Allows us to slide the knot up and down the rope as we wish, and if you fall it locks immediately. This is more for travel on steep terrain, not fall protection when climbing vertical. That is usually protected by a belayer. The GriGri is good because your belayer really just keeps the slack out as it essentially locks down for a fall on it's own (good for new belayers!). I have seen people self-belay on a top rope with GriGri's

The Croll/Ascenders I shared are always locked down to travel in one direction but move freely in another direction (same with the grigri). To move in the "locked down" direction, one has to move the release lever on the croll or ascender.

So if you are worried about falling while traveling in either direction on the rope, then a prussic might be the best solution.

Regardless beware of static ropes and cord when falling. easy to cause pretty bad damage to one's body even with very short falls.

/ Rope cinch #8  
I don't know your setup. Where I used to work they had a rope secured on both ends on fixed ladders. The belaying device was attached to the climbing belt. When placed on the rope it would basically tag along as one would climb. It did the same during descent. The only distance to drop would be whatever slack was in the climbing belt. I don't think your setup would be conducive to using this system as the safety rope is tight all the time and the belay device slides easily along it.

/ Rope cinch
Set up a rial.... Find a tree or pole and set up a "fall" from maybe 2 or 3 feet above ground and see how it performs... You may be surprised...
Any fall protection device that has any friction on rope going up is going to be a pain in the butt to use as you will be having to always work rope through device as you are trying to climb.... IF you don't like it or don't trust it, don't climb...
You first

/ Rope cinch #10  
The device supplied with anborists flip line works, not as $$ as a grigri.

I used the unit listed above recently.

Attachments

• tree work.jpg
    tree work.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 79