Roof leak

/ Roof leak #1  

copytmpmzl

Bronze Member
Tractor
ford raptor
I noticed on Saturday evening I had damage to the ceiling in the living room from a possible leak on the roof, my living-room is directly underneath the pitched roof, which was part of an extension that was built in the 1980s.

I have owned the property for almost 3.5 years.

I have had two roofers out since Saturday, I had a look in the attic, but as it is quite shallow (pitched roof), I cant get across to inspect the area where I think the issue could be up close, but looking from the access point in the attic with the torch I couldnt see anything

The first said good news as the lead flashing, where the extension meets the old victorian property looks solid, no issues. He said that some of the tiles and felt needed replaced, that he could do a section for GBP 600.

I went up on the roof with him, and obviously the tiles are old, and I could see one that was cracked and some others had slippage. the area in the livingroom where there appears to be an issue I imagine would have had a fireplace originally, as its where they chimney stack is. Again the roofer said he couldnt see any issues from what he could see as the chimney stack on the roof didnt look wet or compromised.

The second roofer, initial words were, "roofs not in great shape", then said he could tidy up a section and replace 50 tiles where needed BUT couldnt guarantee it would take care of the problem as he can only do that if doing the full roof.

I went up with both of the workman, and didnt mention the other quote.

I have a 3rd roofer coming out.

I'm just concerned as I cant figure out what may have caused the issue.

I have money to get the roof fixed, what do you think would be the best path to take ...

any advice welcome.

The damage is at the side of the livingroom, where the cornice is ... this is the same location where the pitched roof on the extension meets the old property.

When I went up on the roof, the gutters were fine, the roofer did mention some slippage, and i could see a cracked tile which is roughly above the area in the livingroom I think.

/ Roof leak
I noticed on Saturday evening I had damage to the ceiling in the living room from a possible leak on the roof, my living-room is directly underneath the pitched roof, which was part of an extension that was built in the 1980s.

I have owned the property for almost 3.5 years.

I have had two roofers out since Saturday, I had a look in the attic, but as it is quite shallow (pitched roof), I cant get across to inspect the area where I think the issue could be up close, but looking from the access point in the attic with the torch I couldnt see anything

The first said good news as the lead flashing, where the extension meets the old victorian property looks solid, no issues. He said that some of the tiles and felt needed replaced, that he could do a section for GBP 600.

I went up on the roof with him, and obviously the tiles are old, and I could see one that was cracked and some others had slippage. the area in the livingroom where there appears to be an issue I imagine would have had a fireplace originally, as its where they chimney stack is. Again the roofer said he couldnt see any issues from what he could see as the chimney stack on the roof didnt look wet or compromised.

The second roofer, initial words were, "roofs not in great shape", then said he could tidy up a section and replace 50 tiles where needed BUT couldnt guarantee it would take care of the problem as he can only do that if doing the full roof.

I went up with both of the workman, and didnt mention the other quote.

I have a 3rd roofer coming out.

I'm just concerned as I cant figure out what may have caused the issue.

I have money to get the roof fixed with the help of roofing company, what do you think would be the best path to take ...

any advice welcome.

The damage is at the side of the livingroom, where the cornice is ... this is the same location where the pitched roof on the extension meets the old property.

When I went up on the roof, the gutters were fine, the roofer did mention some slippage, and i could see a cracked tile which is roughly above the area in the livingroom I think.
thanks in advance for any help

/ Roof leak #3  
I dont know much about tile roofs but I'm sure cracks and slippage isnt good.

/ Roof leak #4  
Pictures could be helpful, but sometimes it is difficult to find a leak even in person because water can enter at point A and travel to point B where you see the leak even though the actual problem is at point A.

/ Roof leak #5  
I don't have any experience working with tile roofs. They had them on homes where I grew up in CA, but I never worked on any of those homes, and nobody has them here in East Texas, where I live now.

In my experience, the most likely place for a leak in a roof is where something comes up through the roof. Vents, chimneys, and especially sky lights. If they are all good, then I look at the Valley's. Are they blocked up by leaves and branches? And then I look at the flashing. It's crazy to me, but a lot of roofers here do not install flashing properly, or even bother to install it at all.

Sometimes I can't find the issue by just looking at the roof, so I run a hose over the roof until I can get it to leak. I had a church with a leak that took me a few days to find because everything looked fine, but when I got the hose in the right spot, I figured out that it was leaking where everyone had been walking on the roof over the years, and they had damaged the flashing where it went from a wall, to under the shingles.

I'm not a roofer, I do remodels and repairs. Repairing a ceiling from water damage is pretty basic, but making sure the leak if fixed can be challenging. From what I've learned, wait until a really good storm after the roof is fixed before doing any repairs on the ceiling.

/ Roof leak #6  
If your reason for having multiple roofers look at is to accumulate free advice how will you know good advice from poor advice? Have the most reputable roofer you can find inspect it and stop asking for bids you have no intention buying and surfing the net.