roller pump storage

/ roller pump storage #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I have heard people use RV antifreeze for long term storage of their roller pumps. Since this is just propylene glycol and water does it really keep things from rusting? Last time I used some motor oil. When I went to use the pump again this year it took some effort to break things loose. I also notice there was a bit of water in the oil. I know there is not that much oil left in the pump after draining it for us but if I can avoid spraying a little oil I wold prefer that.

/ roller pump storage #2  
I fill mine with diesel fuel, then connect the IN/Out hoses together.

Last time I used some motor oil. When I went to use the pump again this year it took some effort to break things loose.
Is your pump rated for what you are spraying?

/ roller pump storage #3  
We've always filled our roller pumps with automatic transmission fluid and connected the in and out together with a length of hose.
After a good flushing of course.
We've never ha dany trouble with locked up pumps.

Jeff

/ roller pump storage #4  
I always filled mine with Prestone (the old fashioned antifreeze; not the RV stuff).:D And when I dumped it out to use the pump again, I saved the antifreeze and reused it.

/ roller pump storage
Thanks for the suggestions. Out of these I might try diesel since I usually have that laying around.

/ roller pump storage #6  
The instructions that came w/my pump (yes I read them) said to fill it w/antifreeze & NOT oil or diesel. So that's what I do.

/ roller pump storage
TwinWillows said:
The instructions that came w/my pump (yes I read them) said to fill it w/antifreeze & NOT oil or diesel. So that's what I do.
What pump do you have? I have a Hypro pump with cast iron rollers from TSC. I found the manual online and of course it says nothing about storage.