3-Point Hitch Rockshaft control lift arms from 4000 fit 110?

/ Rockshaft control lift arms from 4000 fit 110? #1  

mechatgsk

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060
Has anyone tried to install the rockshaft control lift arms from a 4000 series compact tractor onto the 110 TLB to gain more width when hooking up implements? If you look at the 4000 series rockshaft arms they have an angle outward to them where as the 110 TLB arm is straight. And I understand why JD did this, because of the backhoe mounts and the power beyond connection point. But I have noticed it is very hard on some implements to get the draft link arms to widen out enough to clear the implement pins when attaching. I have owned a 4000 series and never had this problem. That is when I noticed what JD did to the rockshaft control lift arms. Anyone experience any of these issues? Will the 4000 series rockshaft control lift arms fit the 110? The mounting end looks the same on the JD parts diagrams.

Regards,
Mechatgsk

/ Rockshaft control lift arms from 4000 fit 110? #2  
I will have to look and see but you would think Deere had good reason to make them different as that costs them more money. I use the IMatch for just about everything so I haven't ever noticed the difference.

/ Rockshaft control lift arms from 4000 fit 110? #3  
Has anyone tried to install the rockshaft control lift arms from a 4000 series compact tractor onto the 110 TLB to gain more width when hooking up implements? If you look at the 4000 series rockshaft arms they have an angle outward to them where as the 110 TLB arm is straight. And I understand why JD did this, because of the backhoe mounts and the power beyond connection point. But I have noticed it is very hard on some implements to get the draft link arms to widen out enough to clear the implement pins when attaching. I have owned a 4000 series and never had this problem. That is when I noticed what JD did to the rockshaft control lift arms. Anyone experience any of these issues? Will the 4000 series rockshaft control lift arms fit the 110? The mounting end looks the same on the JD parts diagrams.

Regards,
Mechatgsk

I think that there might be some confusion of "terms" here. So, I'd like to know if you're talking about the draft link "lift" arms or if you're talking about the draft link arms??

The lift arms are interchangeable. I purchased the right side lift arm for the 4000 series - the adjustable one - to replace the hydraulic tilt cylinder on my 110 when using my Kuhn disc mower. Works just fine.

If you're talking about the draft link arms - the lower "flat bar" - draft arms.... well, they're different and then again they're not!!

If you go here: John Deere - Parts Catalog

You'll see that the draft arm (29) for the 4720 is so similar to the draft arm for the 110 here: John Deere - Parts Catalog

they're similar enough that they're interchangeable. The lower links for both machines are slightly bent at each end. The sway links are different, however.

But, if you look at #243 on the 110 parts - the lower link is more angled and the sway linkage is a slider/pin arrangement. When you look at the parts breakdown for the 4720 at #372: the lower draft link is also angled and the sway linkage is a slider/pin arrangement.

So, depending upon the serial number for the 4000 series and the 110; you can find either the angled lower link or the straight lower link. And, both machines have a slider/pin arrangement for the sway links.

Short story - want the angled - gotta go with #372 on the 4000 lower link and #243 on the 110 lower link. The angle is not exactly the same but likely a workable solution.

Same story with the straight lower link. Look at #371 on the 4000 machine and #244 on the 110 lower link.

IMO - the more problematic concern is the sway linkage. Whether the rear attachment pin is the correct size to fit the mounting bracket that is bolted to the rear axle housing.

AKfish

/ Rockshaft control lift arms from 4000 fit 110?
Hi AKFish and Jenkinsph,
I have some photo's of the rockshaft control lift arms that I am talking about. That little difference in angle can make an impact on how far apart you can spread the draft links. I just wanted to know if anyone had done this swap before.
I just thought about another possible reason for the different angle. Maybe an interference when backhoe is mounted? I will have to check this when I remount the hoe.

Regards,
Mechatgsk

Attachments

• Rockshaft arm on 110 TLB.jpg
    Rockshaft arm on 110 TLB.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 1,503
  • IMG_0603 rockshaft arm from 4520.jpg
    IMG_0603 rockshaft arm from 4520.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 1,634
   / Rockshaft control lift arms from 4000 fit 110? #5  
Ooohhh... duh... Rockshaft lift arm... :embarrassed: Jeez; I've never even really looked at those!

Never take 'em off - never thought about replacing them. So, are the 4000 series rockshaft arms different - more angled?

They're all the way down with the hoe attached. The 3pt lever is fully lowered. But, generally there's quite a bit of space in that area with nothing to hit. I'd really be surprised if there'd be a problem - even with an additional bend in the arm.

AKfish

Hi AKfish,
If you look at the photo's of the 4000 series tractor you will see the rockshaft arm is angled outward just a bit. Then look at the 110 TLB photo and you will see the rockshaft arm is straight. I did look at my backhoe today and did not see anything that may cause an interference with the 4000 rockshaft arms on the 110 tlb. I may just have to order one and check this option out. I definately want to change out my 110 tlb sway chains for the 4000 series parts which will also require me to change the draft links as well. I hate the adjustment of the sway chains on the 110 tlb. The 4000 series uses a rod and tube which in my opinion is much easier and faster to adjust. I guess I shoud have purchased the three point hitch for the 4000 series tractor and been happier. :D

Regards,
Mechatgsk

/ Rockshaft control lift arms from 4000 fit 110? #7  
Hi AKfish,
If you look at the photo's of the 4000 series tractor you will see the rockshaft arm is angled outward just a bit. Then look at the 110 TLB photo and you will see the rockshaft arm is straight. I did look at my backhoe today and did not see anything that may cause an interference with the 4000 rockshaft arms on the 110 tlb. I may just have to order one and check this option out. I definately want to change out my 110 tlb sway chains for the 4000 series parts which will also require me to change the draft links as well. I hate the adjustment of the sway chains on the 110 tlb. The 4000 series uses a rod and tube which in my opinion is much easier and faster to adjust. I guess I shoud have purchased the three point hitch for the 4000 series tractor and been happier. :D

Regards,
Mechatgsk

I agree that the sway links on the 110 aren't as "user friendly"... but, they're a whole lot stronger than the 4000 pin/slider arrangement.

My neighbor has a 4320. They use it to rake, tedd, spread fertilizer, etc. etc. I can't begin to tell how many times they've bent, broken; generally destroyed and cussed that slider!! :mad:

Meantime; I've never liked having to use 2 wrenches to adjust those chain links - but, they're solid and strong! Worked 'em on heavy stuff that they're 4320 has never been close to!

If you switch... better let those old ones sit in the shed for a spell - you might be lookin' for 'em - later. :D

AKfish

AKfish,
That is a very good idea! I may want to use them again at some point.
I can say that on my old 2009 4520 it had the rod and tube sway bar setup and I never once had a problem. :)

Regards,
Mechatgsk

/ Rockshaft control lift arms from 4000 fit 110? #9  
If you go to all this trouble I would go for the telescopic draft links and the tubular sway bars. I don't see the need to change the upper rockshaft arms, don't see where you would gain any benefit for the cost. Bet their not cheap. The telescopic links sure make it easier to hookup my boxblade.