Rock chip prtection on horse trailer

/ Rock chip prtection on horse trailer #1  

oldgrizzlybear

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1500D
I'm in the process of repainting my horse trailer. The last time I painted I just use Rustoleum spray and it work pretty good. HOwever, I have a lot of chips on the front low down. I'm thinking about trying the spray on pickup bed liner stuff by spraying a 1 to 2 foot band on the front and the front of the fenders.

Has anyone used this stuff? Will it work for this application?

Larry

/ Rock chip prtection on horse trailer #2  
It will work great for that application but it is not cheep. Also some of the bed liner coatings can be tinted so you won't need to apply a top coat.

/ Rock chip prtection on horse trailer #3  
Menards carries Herculean truck bed liner that you can brush or roll on for under 70 bucks and quite often they have a 20 rebate. It is tough stuff. I put it on my truck bed and I haul alot and the only damage I have got is where I have gouged it with sharp heavy steel.
You can spray it too but I rolled mine on. Real easy. It's made with real ground rubber and it is also used for stair treads and holds up very good for that so it would work for your aplication
Leaddog

/ Rock chip prtection on horse trailer #4  
Two things to consider.

Some of the trailers I've been seeing have a strip of aluminum along that area.

Back in the 80's, our Olds Cutlass had an "orangepeely" looking paint on the lower body panels, where the tires would kick up stones. I talked to a guy who taught body repair at the Vo-Tech school, and he said GM had a rubbery paint they used in those areas. It matched the rest of the car, but if you looked closely you could see a difference in texture................chim

/ Rock chip prtection on horse trailer #5  
I agree with Chim. Just get the aluminum to put on the front. It will look sharp, not a black globbed mess on there.

/ Rock chip prtection on horse trailer
I don't like the aluminum. I'm concerned about stuff building up behind it, holding moisture and promoting rust.

Larry

/ Rock chip prtection on horse trailer #7  
   / Rock chip prtection on horse trailer #8  
I think you are on the right track.

I've also seen a spray on liner that is made specifically for undercarriages.

Soundguy

/ Rock chip prtection on horse trailer #9  
Larry, I recently got done refinishing 2 trailers. I used the roll on material on the front and inside of a little utility trailer that I use to haul materials around (usually manure, clippings, etc) with either the lawn tractor or one of the pickups. I made sure to coat the sides, tops and undersides of all applicable surfaces to ensure that water did not have an entry point. With wet shavings and manure corrosion was a real problem. To date I have had no problems even in the front where the trucks kick up stones.

On the old 2 horse trailer I used diamond plate aluminum which I placed over an undercoating spray that I sprayed on the walls of the trailer. So far no problems with this and I think it looks better than the black roll on solution (mostly because it sort of matches the larger goose neck trailer).

I admit that bending a large sheet of aluminum around the nose of the 2 horse was a bit intimidating and I was just plain lucky I got it right the first time....

/ Rock chip prtection on horse trailer #10  
How about some pics Mark. I'd like to see what it looked like.