Rock Auger bits... Anyone have recommendation? Pengo BoRH???

/ Rock Auger bits... Anyone have recommendation? Pengo BoRH??? #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I'm setting up to put in some fence this fall.

I'm getting a Wrag Commander XL driver for the post driving work. However, there are a couple places in which I know I will need a rock auger.

I will be getting the Danuser EP20 for the head but I'm trying to decide on a bit.

I like the 'thought' of the Pengo Aggressor Auger and adding the Bolt on Rock Head... but I have not spoken with anyone who has any experience with it. Overall, I suspect most of my holes made with this setup will be regular old dirt without rock... however, I know I will need at least some for limestone. The 9" hex bits I've seen run around $1K. The Pengo Agressor is roughly $240 and the Bolt on Rock head is another $540 or so. So the 'combo' bit is about 20% LESS than the 'rock only' bit. And, the combo would give me more options for use in 'non-rock' circumstances.

My question, however, is how good is the Pengo combination setup? How 'good' is the Pengo Agressor as a regular hole bit?

- I understand there are always compromises when you get a multi-use tool, but I don't know how significant those compromises would be compared to $1400-1500 for 2 job specific McMillen bits.

- How much 'real world' digging capacity would I give up if I went with only a 'rock bit' and tried to use it for regular dirt? (I've never used a rock bit, but you have to dig down to rock... so I suspect it can dig dirt as well, at least to some degree.)

Or... do you have recommendations?

/ Rock Auger bits... Anyone have recommendation? Pengo BoRH??? #2  
I have a 9" Pengo, 2" round drive. It was a piece of crap until I pulled the frost teeth off. Thumb sized & sharpness carbide teeth don't work on clay. Does just fine with proper dirt teeth. It weighed more than my cheap farm store 12" auger & the quality & durability showed. I'm sure the frost teeth would be superior in rocky or frozen ground, but not for clay. Just not sharp enough to dig in like the thin dirt teeth are.

I'd recommend a Pengo in general if you are going to do a lot of holes. Overkill for a few all projects though.

Sold the 3pt PHD with the old tractor, still have the Pengo 9" though. Debating on getting a 2" round to 2" hex adapter to mount it on my new hydraulic Danhuser PHD. Have a 12" auger 2" hex drive for that. Think it's a McMillian & it's about as beefy as the Pengo.

/ Rock Auger bits... Anyone have recommendation? Pengo BoRH???
Any other thoughts?

Fallon,

Most posts will be with a Post driver. However, I will need a auger with rock capability for at least 20-30 posts I am sure and I will need an auger for general usage afterwards as well. Thus, I've thought about the 'combo' setup by Pengo.