Road towing a 10 FT. Pull-type disc

/ Road towing a 10 FT. Pull-type disc #1  

cdupuy

Tractor
MF 135, John Deere 4430
Does anyone have any experience towing a Miller SJ1 disc behind a 3/4 ton pick-up? It is too wide to fit on a trailer with out a permit. The gangs are 10 ft. wide, and the overall length is about 18ft. I have read about attaching a chain to the tongue of the disc, and then attaching the other end to the side of the frame. Attaching a chain like this does not sound like it will help much, but I have not tried it. I would think max speed would be 25 mph. Any other advise? thanks, Carr

IMG_3696.JPGIMG_3700.JPG

/ Road towing a 10 FT. Pull-type disc #2  
How far do you have to you to go? If the tires and wheel bearings are good I would have no problem doing this. Like you said keep your speed reasonable. Not sure if safety chains are required for farm equipment in Texas.

/ Road towing a 10 FT. Pull-type disc #3  
How far does it need to go? If reasonable distance, I’d take the tractor. It becomes an impliment of husbandry and from a legal aspect makes it much easier without being in the cross hairs of the law. Contact the state for an annual permit. It might still work with a truck being used to pull it but I’m not certain. Tires and bearings will be the big concern

Brett

/ Road towing a 10 FT. Pull-type disc #4  
I would pull the wheels and pack the bearings before leaving. Slow moving vehicle sign for sure. Harbor freight has magnetic tail lights cheap for use with your truck. Start early and go slow, you should be fine. We moved a hay baler 100 miles on its wheels. Behind a truck.

/ Road towing a 10 FT. Pull-type disc #5  
How far does it need to go? If reasonable distance, I’d take the tractor. It becomes an impliment of husbandry and from a legal aspect makes it much easier without being in the cross hairs of the law. Contact the state for an annual permit. It might still work with a truck being used to pull it but I’m not certain. Tires and bearings will be the big concern

Brett

I'm pretty sure it's an implement of husbandry no matter what you tow it with. Tractor might look more the part than a Honda Civic, but I still think you'd be okay. My friend lives right in town. A guy pulls a big chopper type wagon right down his street which is a pretty major thoroughfare with an F250 twice a day.

There are rules about width, which probably vary from state to state. My WAG would be that at 10' wide you're fine with an SMV sign and flashers, but at some widths they do require a follow vehicle.

/ Road towing a 10 FT. Pull-type disc
Thanks to all for the replies. I report how the event goes.

/ Road towing a 10 FT. Pull-type disc #7  
I've towed my MF124 baler over country roads (about 25 miles distance) behind my F150. Baler is about 10 ft wide.

MF124 baler F150 towing-1.PNG

Biggest problem was keeping the right wheel out of the ditch on 2-lane country road.

Good luck

/ Road towing a 10 FT. Pull-type disc #8  
You may have it home by now, but we always tied good sized, bright colored cloth red flags to the extreme outside corners of whatever we were towing. An SMV sign on, a chain through the hitch, as a safety chain, emergency flashers on, and go. Here in Ohio, traffic is SUPPOSED to yield to Ag. equipment.

/ Road towing a 10 FT. Pull-type disc
I pulled the trailer to my ranch on Friday. I bought two new tires, had the wheel bearings and races replaced and reassembled. Toungue weight is very heavy. Overall, the disc pulled pretty well. Thanks for all of the help. Carr
8DFFCEF7-242C-4716-AA13-F09F528EF189.jpeg5E5521F4-DD5C-4EA0-BB16-D0A73B56F913.jpeg428FE8D6-41FB-4CAB-9A78-784CEE6E7734.jpeg8906E9A1-7772-4DDB-B134-B62149E6293B.jpeg8DFFCEF7-242C-4716-AA13-F09F528EF189.jpeg5E5521F4-DD5C-4EA0-BB16-D0A73B56F913.jpeg428FE8D6-41FB-4CAB-9A78-784CEE6E7734.jpeg8906E9A1-7772-4DDB-B134-B62149E6293B.jpeg

/ Road towing a 10 FT. Pull-type disc #10  
Ha, ha - what I get a tad nervous about - - in the fall harvest time, the farmers will move their big harvesters with a 32 foot or larger header down the county roads. No lead vehicle with flashing anything - come around a corner on my motorcycle and here comes one - head on. Many, many times I have to do a 180, find a place to pull off and let them slide on by. But that's the way it is out here in wheat country.