Road Rage, revisited.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #101  
I knew what you meant. However, what I see is signs that say
"Construction 1/2 mile"
"merge"

yet some will stay in the open lane until it ends, then force their way into the line.
That's why I say I wish they would enforce the speed limit in those areas.
I was approaching a construction zone a couple of days ago with signs indicating left lane closed. I was in the right lane and there was a car in the left lane a good distance in front of me. He continued in the left lane and ignored signs to use right lane. I thought he was going to hit the barrels and finally made a sudden move to the right lane. It looked like he was about 5 ft from the barrels when he moved. The kicker was there was nobody near him in the right lane and he could have moved to the right lane a half mile before he did. I guess he liked that left lane so much that he didn't want to leave it.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #102  
That's illegal in Indiana, too. You are required to move over to let faster traffic pass, even if you are already speeding yourself. I love it! :)
It's not enforced enough though and too many slower left lane hogs are still around here.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #103  
This conversation has become a little tense so I'll try and lighten the mood plus reassure evil drivers have been around forever and the sun just keeps on rising.
Buddy and I were cruising along a quite country lane with the top down on his early 50s Chevy convertible when we saw an old man walking in the same direction ahead. The road was downhill to where the old gent was then road started going uphill. My buddy turned the ignition off and coasted in high gear until a few yards before overtaking the old guy. When he turned the ignition back on raw fuel igniting in exhaust system made a loud explosion. In our hysterical laughing my buddy failed to notice the engine didn't restart, the road began an uphill incline causing car to coast to a stop and roll backwards. He began grinding the starter trying to restart the car (6 volt cars didn't crank and start well at all unless perfectly tuned which his wasn't). The longer he ground, the closer the angry man got to overtaking us. Thank goodness the car finally started and we sped off just as the angry old man reached the rear fender with cane raised above his head in preparation to club my brains out.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #104  
My favorite pet peeve is the guy who uses the right lane for his own personal passing lane, instead of vacating it to allow enterrers and exiters to do their thing. Then they get all butthurt and aggrieved when someone enters the lane doing 2 MPH slower than them and slowing them down. Meanwhile, the far left lane is empty.

I was stationed in Germany in the early 70s and there were several road rules that just made sense.
As someone mentioned in Post #73, there is NO PASSING ANYONE on their right. ALL passing must be done on the left. If the guy in the left lane is going slower than the passer, he is obligated to move a lane to the right to allow the passer to pass. Flashing headlights is the universal signal to do that. Horn blowing and middle finger waving are also used. On the autobahn, in rural areas, their is (was?) no speed limit, so it was not uncommon to see a Mercedes in the far left lane, going about 130 MPH, flashing their headlights continuously to clear a lane in front of them.

Trucks are OBLIGATED to drive in the right lane unless overtaking another vehicle, whereupon they must return to the right lane.
Cops watch these things, so it works pretty good.

Another thing I really liked was, traffic lights sequenced from green to amber to red, (as usual), but also cycled from red to amber to green, to alert you to be ready to go. In the 70s, there were a lot of small, cheap, manual transmission cars there, so this may have been designed to alert the driver to get the transmission in gear?

And driving in southern Germany and Austria, there were sequentially flashing strobe lights around sharp curves that were activated if you were traveling faster than you could make the curve. These strobes were spaced maybe 300' apart and could go on for 1/2 mile. The whole sequence repeated about every 2 seconds, leading you around the curve like tracers from a machine gun. They also served to delineate the curve geometry, so you could see exactly where the curve started and stopped. Not so necessary here, as we generally not so constrained by mountains, cliffs, rivers and things, so we can make our curves as gradual as we want.

The 1964 VW I had, with manual transmission, and 1200 CC engine, could go about 50 MPH (80 KPH) flat out if you were level or downhill and no headwind. Made for some extensive pre planning when merging (einfarht)
It had a 6 volt system, those 20" tall narrow tires and bulb-and-reflector style headlights instead of seal beams. But it must have made 50 MPG for gas mileage.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #106  
Yes, the drivers in Washington state may not know about the horn, and we apparently think the left lane was put in for our own use and not for passing. A buddy and i were going to a gun show. He's driving and as he merges on to I-5, he keeps going over till he's in the left lane. At first I thought he saw something ahead that might be impeding the right lane. Nope. Then a vehicle comes up behind us and he just sits in the left lane, i check his blind spot on the right and tell him it's clear, you can get over. He looks at me like i have three eyes and say, that guy can just go around. Thing is, he's not normally a jerk or anything even remotely like that.

/ Road Rage, revisited. #107  
I tap on my horn if i see the neighbor outside the house. I've done quick repetitive honks at people, mostly parking lots, when it looks like they will hit my car. I don't use my horn as a way to assuage my anger with another driver.
That's what I've been trying to do for a year and a half with my horn meter - new years resolution. It's getting better, but I have to keep myself in check. Horn meter got reset a few days ago. Starting over again. :rolleyes:

/ Road Rage, revisited.
Normal people press the button once and know that the door is locked.
Only geniuses press the button multiple times and know it is super-locked!
A lot of people aren’t happy unless the horn blows. That gets particularly annoying when it’s 11:30 at night, they are parked next to your open window, (the only motel in the US which didn’t have AC) and go back out to the car every time you just get back to sleep.
I almost kicked their tire when I left for work 6 hours later, just to see if I could set off the alarm.

/ Road Rage, revisited.
The red button on our 2003 Suburban remote is very sensitive. So sensitive, that I hang it on a hook as soon as I come back in the house, because I've set it off multiple times just walking around the house. It also works pretty good to find your car in the lot. However, I've taken to always parking next to a cart rack. That way, if I lose my car, I don't have to search the entire parking lot, only about 20 cart corrals and I should find it. 🤣
I always park on the far end of parking lots. It makes it a lot easier to find the truck afterwards.

I’d had my Colorado about 2 months before I realized that it had an alarm. I locked it at the grocery store, but left my window down because my dog was in it. When I came out I reached through the window, set the groceries down and opened it with the inside handle like I’ve done thousands of times over the years. When it started beeping I went Oh, :censored:, grabbed the keys from my pocket and proceeded to drop them down that slot on the right side of the driver’s seat designed specifically to lose things. (it serves a secondary purpose for the seatbelt.)

/ Road Rage, revisited. #110  
I always park on the far end of parking lots. It makes it a lot easier to find the truck afterwards.

I’d had my Colorado about 2 months before I realized that it had an alarm. I locked it at the grocery store, but left my window down because my dog was in it. When I came out I reached through the window, set the groceries down and opened it with the inside handle like I’ve done thousands of times over the years. When it started beeping I went Oh, :censored:, grabbed the keys from my pocket and proceeded to drop them down that slot on the right side of the driver’s seat designed specifically to lose things. (it serves a secondary purpose for the seatbelt.)
I've done the same more then once.