Rk55 radiator screens

/ Rk55 radiator screens #1  

agjones

Platinum Member
Tractor
Rk55HC 4n1 fel/bh, Power-Trac 1850, 425d, Terex pt30, Kubota kx033, bx1880, yanmar 8x8 dumper, Magnatrac mh5000 w/ loader, six way blade & backhoe, Dew-eze ATM72LC Slope Mower, Terramite t6 4wd, DR Power brush mower
Loving this tractor so far. 60h

Is it just me or is it really a pain to get to the screens that protect the radiator?

Lots of grass fluff from mowing went to clean out and the pre-screens are hard to get out of the way and also tons of debris made it between the screens and radiator.

Anyone workaround?

/ Rk55 radiator screens #2  

Is it just me or is it really a pain to get to the screens that protect the radiator?

Lots of grass fluff from mowing went to clean out and the pre-screens are hard to get out of the way and also tons of debris made it between the screens and radiator.

Anyone workaround?
Not the most elegant solution but I made a bra for each of my tractors. It covers the front and side vents. I just cut up a piece of nylon window screen to size and use velcro to attach. Cuts out a lot of the fluff and seeds. A lot easier to clean in the field using a brush. Saves me from opening the hood as much and cleaning the screens while mowing. I do a real clean when I am finished for the day.

/ Rk55 radiator screens #3  
A leaf blower works great while in the field, I have a long air nozzle for my compressor from harbor freight that is great for reachingway in behind the radiator to blow stuff out.

/ Rk55 radiator screens
@circled throw a bra pic up if it's not too racy. ;-)

Yeah the blower does ok, but it's pretty dense in that engine compartment. I'm really surprised how gappy and hard to remove the screens are. Minor overall.

/ Rk55 radiator screens #5  
All I had to do with my TC33D was to loosen one hose clamp so I can twist the air intake tube 180 degrees and lift out the screen. I would then use the blowgun like 3gunr said to blow everything clean. I was noticing that many new tractor pics looked like they were not very maintenance friendly.

/ Rk55 radiator screens
All I had to do with my TC33D was to loosen one hose clamp so I can twist the air intake tube 180 degrees and lift out the screen. I would then use the blowgun like 3gunr said to blow everything clean. I was noticing that many new tractor pics looked like they were not very maintenance friendly.
Yeah, my Mitsubishi is like you described. I like the hood bra idea, and I'm going to try to find some adhesive weatherstripping type stuff to cut the gaps down. I notice some of the foam is out of place on mine. Maybe I'll bend up an end for the blow gun/comp I keep on the truck.

/ Rk55 radiator screens #7  

Anyone workaround?
Yeah it's not the greatest design. Aside from having to remove the side hood panel which can be a knuckle buster, I end up having to bend the screen a tiny bit if my front right wheel isn't positioned just right because the screen hits the raised part of the R4 wheel tread on its way out.

As a side note - has anyone ever removed the screen for the air conditioner compressor? It looks like there's quite a bit of stuff that needs to be removed to get that screen out, so I've not attempted it yet.

Last edited:
   / Rk55 radiator screens #8  
After I am done mowing, I just use my gas blower to blast the screens out. So far it works great. The largest thing is usually dandelion seeds.

/ Rk55 radiator screens
I put all the little foam pieces back where they belong and made sure the side panels were seated properly and the debris is really collected more on the hood grill (like it should) now. So it seems a lot of my issue was the gappy fit of unseated side panels and foam.

I didn't realize the side panels were not seated... Now the debris that gets to the pre-screens is reasonable.

/ Rk55 radiator screens #10  
My foam pieces were mostly un-seated , and loose when I brought my new tractor home. I took the engine side covers off one day and pulled them the rest of the way loose and used RTV and rubber cement to re-attach them back in where they were. And your right the debris sticks in the screens on the front of the tractor now.