RK50HC - Automatic DPF Regeneration Experience

/ RK50HC - Automatic DPF Regeneration Experience #1  

markie61

Veteran Member
Tractor
2019 Rural King RK55HC with Loader & Backhoe; 2001 New Holland TC40D with Loader
RK55HC - Automatic DPF Regeneration Experience

From my reading of the owner's manual and my own experience, I have concluded that the RK55HC has two regeneration cycles: one automatic (done while operating the tractor with no operator intervention necessary) and one stationary (which requires parking the tractor and pushing the button).
I was doing a bunch of low-rev loader work and this dash indicator came on - blinking/alternating between the F(orward) and R(everse) on the panel.
Hi Temp Indicator.jpg
This is the indicator for "high exhaust temperature"; further, on another page in another section the manual says it is "displayed when the DPF system is excessively hot during automatic or stationary regeneration. (It indicates the current regeneration status.)"
Just to see what happened and since I still had a couple hours' work to do, I ran up the RPMs closer to 2000 and continued. Over the 20 or so minutes the indicator was on, there were two puffs of visible emissions (grey-ish/white-ish) which I assume to be the particulate matter burning off. A few minutes after the second puff, the indicator turned off. So, I am thinking that was the experience of automatic regeneration - subtle and in the background.

As you can see, I am up to 62 hours and have yet to do the stationary regeneration. Once that happens, I will document it as well.

Last edited:
   / RK50HC - Automatic DPF Regeneration Experience #2  
Re: RK55HC - Automatic DPF Regeneration Experience

My experience was similar except it happened during mowing with engine rpms in the green area indicating 540 rpm for the PTO. I think that is around 2500 engine rpms. Around 53 hrs on tractor when it happened. I noticed a difference in exhaust smell before seeing the regen symbol, which stayed lit for about 30 minutes.

/ RK50HC - Automatic DPF Regeneration Experience #3  

About 90% of my tractor use is in increments of just a minute or two. Start it, pick up some firewood or mulch, drive to where it’s going to be either split or raked out, and shut off the engine while I work. Total run time is almost always under 3 minutes. I’m not sure what I’ll do when my auto regen light comes on.

/ RK50HC - Automatic DPF Regeneration Experience

I noticed a difference in exhaust smell before seeing the regen symbol, which stayed lit for about 30 minutes.
Definitely a different smell to the exhaust. This would have been the 3rd time I noticed the "high exhaust temperature" indicator (apparently associated with automatic regeneration), so I assume it has happened twice already before I paid it this close attention.

/ RK50HC - Automatic DPF Regeneration Experience #5  
The VW TDI often stunk after a regen. It was its only smell though. No diesel exhaust smell.

Ralph

/ RK50HC - Automatic DPF Regeneration Experience #6  

About 90% of my tractor use is in increments of just a minute or two. Start it, pick up some firewood or mulch, drive to where it’s going to be either split or raked out, and shut off the engine while I work. Total run time is almost always under 3 minutes. I’m not sure what I’ll do when my auto regen light comes on.

The JD855 does not regen. If you have a newer tractor that does regen, talk to your dealer but I would park it and let it do its thing.

/ RK50HC - Automatic DPF Regeneration Experience #7  

The JD855 does not regen. If you have a newer tractor that does regen, talk to your dealer but I would park it and let it do its thing.

Sorry, I traded the 855 for a 3033R, but the mobile interface I use for this forum does not allow me to update my sig.

/ RK50HC - Automatic DPF Regeneration Experience #8  

Sorry, I traded the 855 for a 3033R, but the mobile interface I use for this forum does not allow me to update my sig.
Which mobile app are you using that doesn't give you that option?

/ RK50HC - Automatic DPF Regeneration Experience #9  

Which mobile app are you using that doesn't give you that option?

Tapatalk. If it’s in there, I haven’t found it.

/ RK50HC - Automatic DPF Regeneration Experience #10  

I have almost 300 hours on my RK55 and have done a lot of grapple work in the 1700 RMP range. Mine has regened about 6 times. The indicator comes on their is a definite smell that is weird. I run the RPMS all the way up and keep working. They say the regen works best if the machine is being worked hard. We have several regen units on forklifts at work and the ones that give us problems are low rpm work because the exhaust does not get hard enough to burn the soot out completely. I like working around 1700 rpm but when it is time for regen I run it hard. Once it is over I go back to 1700 rpm. So far so good. No issues with the regen or the tractor.