RK37 Shuttle shift break in

/ RK37 Shuttle shift break in #1  

uptaker73

Silver Member
Tractor
RK 37, John Deere LX280 John Deere Z535m John Deere 160
Just curious if anybody else who has the shuttle tranny has noticed any hard to shift issues? I've put only 10 hours on my 37 so far and enjoy everything but the Transmission, it can be a bear to shift sometimes. Going from the L-M-H is extremely hard. Anybody else noticed this? Or has some of them loosened up after a few more hours?

/ RK37 Shuttle shift break in #2  
My 1993 Ford 1920 is a pain to shift between ranges. It has a little over 1000 hours on it. Have to double clutch sometimes and sometimes that does not work.

Last edited:
   / RK37 Shuttle shift break in #3  
My 1993 Fore 1920 is a pain to shift between ranges. It has a little over 1000 hours on it. Have to double clutch sometimes and sometimes that does not work.

DITTO!... in Eastern MA also.

/ RK37 Shuttle shift break in #4  
The range gears on these tractors are straight cut teeth gear, there is no synchronizer to help with shifting. Therefore it can be somewhat a pain to get in gear. It happens with mine too. I usually just selected another gear on the main gears or move the shuttle lever between forward and backward and it will rotate the gears just enough for the range gear to go in.

You will get the hang of it as the time goes by.

As far as break in, you'll notice that it will make less noise as the hours go up.

/ RK37 Shuttle shift break in #5  
FYI - me too ...very hard to shift. Still <10 hrs, hopefully when the weather is nicer and I get more hours on it and learn the machine better it will be smoother.

/ RK37 Shuttle shift break in
I have crested the 30hr mark on my 37. It is still hard to shift using the shuttle shifter. Hopefully it will eventually break in. I still love the tractor and the power, it has done everything I've asked it to do so far.

/ RK37 Shuttle shift break in #7  
Us hydrostatic guys have the same issues. I typically operate in M, and usually have to give the handle a nice healthy shove to get it to go in gear. Otherwise, if I try to ease the handle into gear, it just pops out as soon as I give it gas.

When going from M to N, I try playing with the foot pedal to rock the tractor forward or backward ever so slightly, and I can get it out of gear without too much fuss.

/ RK37 Shuttle shift break in #8  
Just curious if anybody else who has the shuttle tranny has noticed any hard to shift issues? I've put only 10 hours on my 37 so far and enjoy everything but the Transmission, it can be a bear to shift sometimes. Going from the L-M-H is extremely hard. Anybody else noticed this? Or has some of them loosened up after a few more hours?
As others have mentioned the range selector is straight cut gears. You will sometimes have to let the clutch out a little or shift the shuttle lever to get the gears to line up so they will shift. Basically you need to roll the gears just a little to get them to line up. This is no different than most tractors ever made. On the Hydro models you can rock the tractor slightly with the hydro pedal and it will usually drop right in.

/ RK37 Shuttle shift break in
My issue on my 37 is still in the shuttle shifter, it seem like it would be easier to operate. Can be hard to go from fwd to reverse. Maybe after the fluid change at 50hrs it will ease up.

/ RK37 Shuttle shift break in #10  
My issue on my 37 is still in the shuttle shifter, it seem like it would be easier to operate. Can be hard to go from fwd to reverse. Maybe after the fluid change at 50hrs it will ease up.

Shuttle should be synchronized and super easy to shift. Do you get grinding or is it just hard to move the shifter? If the former, I'd suspect maybe the clutch isn't disengaging fully, and/or maybe a delay would help. If the latter, I'd lean toward linkage being the problem.

You mentioned forward to reverse is hard, what about reverse to forward?