Oil & Fuel RK37 Shuttle shift 50 hour service

/ RK37 Shuttle shift 50 hour service #1  

BlazersRK37

Tractor
RK37 Shuttle Shift
I’ve looked around for this particular question and got mixed answers. I recently did the 50 hour service on my tractor. Front gear oil was easy. Oil and filter easy. The hydraulic fluid was another story. Should have taken off the backhoe but didn’t. So I pulled the drain plug and hurried up and screwed a valve in its place. So I could turn it off when I filled the drain pan. Didn’t have anything that would hold that much at one time. Drained the fluid and pulled the trans strainer filter and cleaned it. Started to fill back up. After the first 5 gallon bucket. I had my wife watch the window. And it never showed any fluid at all even after the second 5 gallon bucket. So I bought a 2 gallon jug this time. Figured it would only take a little. Well 2 more gallons and still nothing. So manual has multiple mistakes in it. I’ve already seen that. Now I’m up too 12 gallons and don’t really want to put anymore in. Since it called for less than 10 gallons. Anyone else have this problem?? Thanks for any help.

/ RK37 Shuttle shift 50 hour service #2  
If it's has a sight window, it's most likely already over filled. It's very hard to see if there is actually fluid on the sight window when the fluid is new and clear.

/ RK37 Shuttle shift 50 hour service #3  
Blazer, I did a post a few weeks back about the same issue I have with my HST. Mine calls for 9.2 gallons but never saw the oil in the sight glass so I would up putting in 10 gallons. I talked with the tractor rep and the store and he said that the 9.2 is for a completely brand new tractor that has never been filled and any fluid remaining after the drain would count into the number. He said that they put in 6 or 7 gallons then have someone watchs the glass while oil is being slowly added. He said it doesn't take much to go above the glass once it reaches it if you aren't paying attention. I think that's pretty crappy. The rep said that if there's 10 gallons in there that it's definitely overfilled and might have shifting issues. I'm thinking about buying some of the fluid dye from John Deere and adding it. Then if it's overfilled I can drain it down. Not sure if the dye can be added to the transmission after the fact so it can mix when driven or if it's suppose to be added to the fluid before hand. Kind of worried that if I start draining it I won't be able to get the plug back in fast enough to stop draining too much so thinking I'll try and see if a siphon hose can be put down in past the gears. I guess whatever happens it's sure a learning experience but still sucks.

/ RK37 Shuttle shift 50 hour service #4  
The John Deere dye can be added after the transmission fill. It mixes quickly when you start the tractor. If you connect a shop vac to the filler port and pull a partial vacuum it will counteract the atmospheric pressure trying to push the fluid out the drain and slow it tremendously - like stop it.

/ RK37 Shuttle shift 50 hour service #5  
Thanks for the info on the dye and the tip on the vacuum Roadworthy. I think I saw the dye on Amazon a while back. If so I might go ahead and place an order rather than wait until Monday to go to the Deere dealer. Have a great weekend.........

/ RK37 Shuttle shift 50 hour service #6  
+1 on the dye. I've learned this on other machines w tricky sight glasses... Trouble saver.

/ RK37 Shuttle shift 50 hour service #7  
Agjones, I found the dye on both Amazon and eBay plus several independent suppliers. I have a JD dealer about 20 miles from me so I figured I go there prior to ordering to save shipping time. They had no idea what I was talking about and said I needed to go to an auto parts store. I told them that what the auto parts stores sell is for UV light detection and that the dye I was looking for was a JD item and I had a part number. Nope, never heard of it or seen anything like that listed. They didn't even have the courtesy to try looking up the number. I was pissed. I might could have seen them being a little upset if I would have mentioned I was using it in another brand of tractor but nothing was even mentioned what I needed it for. Wound up ordering to off eBay with 4 day free shipping by USPS. It was $12.50 per bottle give or take a few cents plus tax. Ordered 2 bottles since the description says one bottle treats up to 5 gallons.

/ RK37 Shuttle shift 50 hour service #8  
I ordered the dye on Thursday the 4th with an expected delivery date of the 9th. It showed up in the mail box on Saturday the 6th. I thought that was great time coming from Missouri by USPS. Anyway, I didn't get a chance to add it to the trans until Tuesday. I have to say the the oil is now a nice bright red and easy to see in the sight glass. I'm impressed to say the least. Two thumbs up to agjones and the others that brought this dye to my and I'm sure other members attention. Thanks folks...........

/ RK37 Shuttle shift 50 hour service
Agjones, I found the dye on both Amazon and eBay plus several independent suppliers. I have a JD dealer about 20 miles from me so I figured I go there prior to ordering to save shipping time. They had no idea what I was talking about and said I needed to go to an auto parts store. I told them that what the auto parts stores sell is for UV light detection and that the dye I was looking for was a JD item and I had a part number. Nope, never heard of it or seen anything like that listed. They didn't even have the courtesy to try looking up the number. I was pissed. I might could have seen them being a little upset if I would have mentioned I was using it in another brand of tractor but nothing was even mentioned what I needed it for. Wound up ordering to off eBay with 4 day free shipping by USPS. It was $12.50 per bottle give or take a few cents plus tax. Ordered 2 bottles since the description says one bottle treats up to 5 gallons.
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I’ll be ordering the same 2 bottles of die. They should have just went with a dip stick. I swear I was using a bright light and all while I was filling it. Well my wife was anyways. And it looks like you can see stuff stuck too the back side of the glass as well like dried on there. Oh well. Definitely a learning experience here. Getting on Amazon now lol.

/ RK37 Shuttle shift 50 hour service #10  
Blazer, I placed my order through eBay. I don't think it was any particular reason other than the delivery was quicker if I remember correctly. I usually use Amazon Prime for the free shipping but the place on eBay also had free shipping and delivery was done in 2 business days from Missouri or Florida. I did buy a suction tool from TSC that looks similar to a grease gun to remove the access oil from the transmission. It was $14.99 if I remember correctly and comes with a piece of 3/8" ID vinyl tube but it was too short so I bought a longer piece. It removes 16oz each time.

Be careful with the dye because it will stain anything it touches including fingers. I drove around about 10 minutes and the oil was a nice bright red. Very visible.......Don