RK24

/ RK24 #1  

cruffleluficus

Tractor
RK24, Gravely L8, Gravely 8162B
Hello, All. I've been browsing Tractorbynet for quite a while trying to learn things, but only recently have I been seriously considering buying a small tractor, probably in a few weeks. I've more or less decided on the RK24. We do have a small LS dealership in town (right across the street from Rural King) that has an MT125 for about the same price and financing, but the Rk has just a few more features on it that I liked. I plan to use it mostly for some light landscaping work, moving stone around, helping clear some dead trees from the woods, and mowing. I only have about 1 1/2 acres now, about 1/2 acre of that is woods, but I plan on selling this place and moving somewhere a little more rural next year, so I'll still be using the tractor, probably even more. So, I've also looked at the smaller RK19 also, especially because it's 2500-3000 cheaper, and that got me wondering if the 24 is $3000 more tractor than the 19. I've watched the Morgans and Bone Stock on Youtube, and they both look pretty capable. For those of you that have one or the other, what made you choose one over the other?

/ RK24 #3  
I haven't had either but have owned 24hp tractors, IMO, 5hp means a lot in the same size tractor, you will have more PTO capability and that's important..

/ RK24 #4  
I skipped past the MT122 and went to the MT125 because there seemed like an awful lot of difference between the two in capabilities and what attachments and implements it could use.

/ RK24 #5  
I went with the rk24 because I needed the backhoe. Five hp. is a lot more when you're talking small tractors. PTO. hp. lets me run a 3 point hitch 60" finish mower or a 54" box blade. Plus I wanted the side by side hydro peddles instead of the heal/ toe Kubota type found on the 19. In my opinion, the rk24 is worth the extra $3000

/ RK24
Thanks, guys. Those are some of the reasons I was leaning toward the 24. Plus, even though I don't need a backhoe now, I at least have the option to get one.

I've watched a lot of the Messick's videos lately. He does a really good presentation.

/ RK24 #7  
I haven't run an RK19, but I've sat on them in the lot. I am glad I chose the RK24. I currently only own 3/8 of an acre. The RK24 is overkill for my size lot, but my plan is to sell the place down the road and get some property somewhere, and there are a lot of projects that I am using the tractor for to raise the property value. So I figure it will pay for itself in the end.

The big reasons I went with the 24 over the 19 were 1) backhoe and 2) overall ability with lift capacities, lift heights, PTO HP, etc.
For you size lot, I really think you would be underwhelmed with the RK19.

For what it's worth, I also purchased a trailer to haul my RK24, and use it to help others. (If you plan to do this make sure you have the proper insurance for taking it off your property, etc.)
The RK19 seems like a nice machine, but I would tend to put that more in the "riding-mower-with-loader-and-3point" category.

You'll (almost) never find yourself wishing you had gone with a smaller tractor. There is a good chance if you go with the 19 you'll be kicking yourself for not going with the 24.
Full Disclosure: I have no brand loyalty. I went with RK because it fit my needs and price point. There are a lot of good machines being sold that don't have the RK stickers on them.

/ RK24
Coming from another Gravely guy, I'll definitely take your advice under consideration!

That's a sharp looking 8123! I have the L that I use all the time, and an 8162B with a bad engine I have to tear down when I get time.

/ RK24 #9  
Coming from another Gravely guy, I'll definitely take your advice under consideration!

That's a sharp looking 8123! I have the L that I use all the time, and an 8162B with a bad engine I have to tear down when I get time.

Ha! I didn't even notice that you owned a Gravely until you said something. I need to pay more attention to peoples info!
Thanks. The 8123 used to be my grandfather's. I fixed it up, added some LED lights, and replaced the PTO clutch. Last year I built a completely custom hydraulic system for it (still uses stock pump). I completely restored the snow blower and plow and added hydraulics to both. Lots of work but it makes it so easy to use now. No manual adjusting of anything. Not to get any more off topic from the original post, but are you a member of the GTOA?