Rk service experience

/ Rk service experience #1  

Fordman98

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kgro
I'm looking into the Rk37 tractor and am very impressed with it. And after talking with my local sales guy the service side seems to be a good setup as well. He was extremely knowledgeable on any and all questions I could throw him.

But I'd like to hear some experiences from actual owners that have needed service done to their RK tractor. I think real world examples from someone not trying to sell me something is more credible.

Thanks in advance!

/ Rk service experience #2  
I think that it is a case by case situation on the service end I have not had need to return for service but have walked through the service area which is at best a small engine station cramped up with medium to large equipment and the mechanic ( as in only one ) only works three days a week, add to that the lack of secured area if you leave equipment over night meaning that it is left outside unsecured.
At my RK dealer they can only fit two compact tractors at one time in the single bay and the bay is poorly lit making the mechanics job more difficult in my opinion. Having said that I have heard others say that their service center is good and they have had good experiences in dealing with them, so get to know your store and it's service people to aid you in your decision, I love my RK24 and for the price and set up would make the same purchase again.
Hope this helps some I know others will be along to chime in. Best of luck.

/ Rk service experience #3  
I think what you really need is the experiences of actual owners of RK branded tractors in the area of Fort Wayne, Indiana.

/ Rk service experience #4  
   / Rk service experience
I agree would be better to have feedback from the Angola store. But thought maybe there would be some consistency from store to store

/ Rk service experience #6  
But I'd like to hear some experiences from actual owners that have needed service done to their RK tractor. I think real world examples from someone not trying to sell me something is more credible.

Thanks in advance!

I just picked up my RK55HC from its 50 hour service and some warranty work tonight. Tractor was at Rural King from 12/21 to 1/3. I was told the work would take a week, so not too far off from the estimated time.

Before I discuss my experience, let me preface this by saying I NEVER take my equipment back to a dealer unless it requires warranty work. I always perform all maintenance service on my vehicles/tractors and once the warranty expires, I perform all work short of pulling an engine or splitting a case (except for my motorcycles, on which I do split cases). The reason behind all this is that I've never met a mechanic that had as much respect for the equipment they were working on as the individual who spent big $$ purchasing that equipment, plain and simple. Maybe I've just never met the right mechanic or I'm just too darn picky.

That said, my RK55 developed a hydraulic leak at one of the steering shafts. Since I assumed it would be covered under warranty, I did not wish to bother with it myself. The leak was small so I monitored it during the mowing season and added hydraulic fluid to the tractor when needed. Considering the cold season and my 50 hr service coincided with one another, I decided to take the tractor in to have the steering cylinder assy replaced (seals are not replaceable, must replace the whole unit) and since it was already going to be there, I figured I'd give them a shot at my 50 hr service.

First, my impressions of what I assume to be the service area. The space Rural King moved into used to be a K-Mart, so I think they are working with the cards they were dealt as best they can. Here's a few pics of the back area where my tractor was stored when I went to pick it up. My tractor was sitting next to the yellow air compressor tank in the second pic, and several pallets of product had to be moved from behind it in order to back it out. I think if they had to have a couple of RK55's in there at once, it could start becoming a little cramped. Prior to the tractor being accepted for service, it was pulled into the bullpen area on the side of the store which is protected by chain link fence, but not covered from the elements.

IMG_5696.JPG

IMG_5697.JPG

My thoughts about the service are as follows, I'll give it 3 stars out of 5 for several reasons, listed below. Overall, I am mostly satisfied with the work performed. The steering assembly no longer leaks, my 50 hr service is done, and I got the tractor back in generally the same condition in which it was dropped off. That’s what truly matters. Consider everything below to be the nitpickey observations of an overly protective tractor owner.

1. Mechanic was a little heavy handed with tools when replacing the steering assy, so paint chipped off several components (pics below). Not a huge deal, but avoidable in my opinion. I wrap my wrenches with electrical tape to keep from marring painted finishes when necessary.

IMG_5705.JPG

IMG_5706.JPG

2. Oil residue is apparent on several components where it was either spilled when filling or emptying and not completely wiped up. To be expected I guess?

3. Whomever greased the loader zerks, used a LOT of grease. And, unless a completely different and totally fastidious individual greased all the zerks on the underside of the tractor, none of them got greased at all because the fittings are all bone dry. Pics below for comparison. I prefer all of my zerk fittings to be cleaned thoroughly after greasing so they don't attract dirt, so this is probably a blessing in disguise as I have quite a bit of cleanup ahead of me on the loader.

IMG_5708.JPG

IMG_5710.JPG

IMG_5703.JPG

IMG_5704.JPG

4. One of the hood panels was not installed correctly as shown below.

IMG_5698.JPG

IMG_5700.JPG

5. The grill guard in front of the hood wasn't secured at all with the lever bolts. My grill guard is really tight without the lever bolts being fastened so not a big deal but I've felt other tractors at RK that moved quite freely when the lever bolts are loosened and this could be a huge deal if the guard moved and you attempted to operate the loader as they will interfere with one another when the guard is not in the fully closed position.

6. I requested from the mechanic that the 3 point hitch up/down lever be adjusted or greased because it is extremely stiff to operate to the point where it feels like something is going to break or bend when operating. Apparently, this request was forgotten, because there is no evidence that anything was performed to remedy this issue.

Overall, the items I listed above may be considered minor in nature by most. Unfortunately, I'm really particular about most everything in life, so things like these stand out to me. One of my fatal flaws I guess. In the end what ultimately matters is that the tractor had an issue and a $400 component was replaced at no charge to me.

Last edited:
   / Rk service experience #7  
The chipped paint on fittings appears to be systematic of the machine. I.E., the grease zerks that didn't get serviced also have paint chipped off. I don't think taping the wrenches would have done much to minimize the chipped paint.

The missed grease zerks appear to be systematic of the mechanic not being familiar with the machine or machines of this type in general.

Not fixing the 3pt problem would again fall on the mechanic's organizational skills. But I'll also put that one back on you. Should have checked that before you hauled the tractor home?

My local Lumber Yard started selling the Stihl line of saws, blowers, etc. Removed some door and window displays to gain room in the showroom for the Stihl display. I asked one of the long time employees who was going to do their service? He said "me and Chico, another employee". I said I didn't know you guys were trained in small engine repair/service? He said "we attended a three day course offered by Stihl". Oh..... Okay.....

/ Rk service experience #8  
The chipped paint on the bolts/fittings is somewhat typical. The factory paints these components after assembly with a pretty thick coat of paint, and it's really meant for the castings and major components, not really the bolts and fittings (many of the bolts and fittings are plated and not even amenable to painting). But they get this thick coat of paint too, and it's the first thing that chips and flakes off when doing a service. Sometimes the mechanic will even have to chip off the paint just to get a wrench on. So that all seems typical to me.

/ Rk service experience #9  
I just picked up my RK55HC from its 50 hour service and some warranty work tonight. Tractor was at Rural King from 12/21 to 1/3. I was told the work would take a week, so not too far off from the estimated time.

Before I discuss my experience, let me preface this by saying I NEVER take my equipment back to a dealer unless it requires warranty work. I always perform all maintenance service on my vehicles/tractors and once the warranty expires, I perform all work short of pulling an engine or splitting a case (except for my motorcycles, on which I do split cases). The reason behind all this is that I've never met a mechanic that had as much respect for the equipment they were working on as the individual who spent big $$ purchasing that equipment, plain and simple. Maybe I've just never met the right mechanic or I'm just too darn picky.

That said, my RK55 developed a hydraulic leak at one of the steering shafts. Since I assumed it would be covered under warranty, I did not wish to bother with it myself. The leak was small so I monitored it during the mowing season and added hydraulic fluid to the tractor when needed. Considering the cold season and my 50 hr service coincided with one another, I decided to take the tractor in to have the steering cylinder assy replaced (seals are not replaceable, must replace the whole unit) and since it was already going to be there, I figured I'd give them a shot at my 50 hr service.

First, my impressions of what I assume to be the service area. The space Rural King moved into used to be a K-Mart, so I think they are working with the cards they were dealt as best they can. Here's a few pics of the back area where my tractor was stored when I went to pick it up. My tractor was sitting next to the yellow air compressor tank in the second pic, and several pallets of product had to be moved from behind it in order to back it out. I think if they had to have a couple of RK55's in there at once, it could start becoming a little cramped. Prior to the tractor being accepted for service, it was pulled into the bullpen area on the side of the store which is protected by chain link fence, but not covered from the elements.

View attachment 635387

View attachment 635388

My thoughts about the service are as follows, I'll give it 3 stars out of 5 for several reasons, listed below. Overall, I am mostly satisfied with the work performed. The steering assembly no longer leaks, my 50 hr service is done, and I got the tractor back in generally the same condition in which it was dropped off. That’s what truly matters. Consider everything below to be the nitpickey observations of an overly protective tractor owner.

1. Mechanic was a little heavy handed with tools when replacing the steering assy, so paint chipped off several components (pics below). Not a huge deal, but avoidable in my opinion. I wrap my wrenches with electrical tape to keep from marring painted finishes when necessary.

View attachment 635389

View attachment 635390

2. Oil residue is apparent on several components where it was either spilled when filling or emptying and not completely wiped up. To be expected I guess?

3. Whomever greased the loader zerks, used a LOT of grease. And, unless a completely different and totally fastidious individual greased all the zerks on the underside of the tractor, none of them got greased at all because the fittings are all bone dry. Pics below for comparison. I prefer all of my zerk fittings to be cleaned thoroughly after greasing so they don't attract dirt, so this is probably a blessing in disguise as I have quite a bit of cleanup ahead of me on the loader.

View attachment 635391

View attachment 635392

View attachment 635393

View attachment 635394

4. One of the hood panels was not installed correctly as shown below.

View attachment 635395

View attachment 635396

5. The grill guard in front of the hood wasn't secured at all with the lever bolts. My grill guard is really tight without the lever bolts being fastened so not a big deal but I've felt other tractors at RK that moved quite freely when the lever bolts are loosened and this could be a huge deal if the guard moved and you attempted to operate the loader as they will interfere with one another when the guard is not in the fully closed position.

6. I requested from the mechanic that the 3 point hitch up/down lever be adjusted or greased because it is extremely stiff to operate to the point where it feels like something is going to break or bend when operating. Apparently, this request was forgotten, because there is no evidence that anything was performed to remedy this issue.

Overall, the items I listed above may be considered minor in nature by most. Unfortunately, I'm really particular about most everything in life, so things like these stand out to me. One of my fatal flaws I guess. In the end what ultimately matters is that the tractor had an issue and a $400 component was replaced at no charge to me.

I do agree with your assessment of the experience.
Sorta what I would expect from a company selling tractors as a sideline.

/ Rk service experience #10  
If a person was a class A diesel tractor mechanic, would you be working at a big-box store or a Deere/Case/Kubota/Bobcat dealer?