RK 24 out of fuel

/ RK 24 out of fuel #1  

dmklein

Tractor
RK 24
So I ran out of fuel in my RK24. Filled it up. Went to start it . . . Started right up, but died after less then 2 seconds.
Contacted my local dealer - he suggested I might have an air bubble in the line, & I should repeated start it until the bubble was 'drawn' out.
After who knows how many attempts, Still no dice. Starts nice & easy, but dies after 1 1/2 - 2 seconds.
No difference where the accelerator lever is.
Any one else have this issuse, surly I'm not the only RK24 owner to run out of fuel.
BTW - the dealer is suppose to email instructions on bleeding the fuel lines. (waiting), should that fail,he did offer to sent his mobile tech unit.

• Good Post
Reactions: mjw
   / RK 24 out of fuel #2  
You'll probably have to crack the injector lines and get the air out.

/ RK 24 out of fuel #4  
If that is the yanmar engine just find instructions on bleeding fuel lines for a similar size /age unit.

Any chance there's a priming bulb in line?

If not... Usually involves a wrench often 17 or 19mm to open the hard line where it meets each cylinder. Do them in order from nearest the injection pump to further away.

Keep a rag handy.

/ RK 24 out of fuel #5  
I had a Mitsubishi tractor. There was a specific sequence for bleeding the air out of the lines. Fuel flow from the tank to the injector pump was strictly gravity fed. The injector pump did not suck fuel, it had to BE there. Sometimes bleeding once didn't get all the air out and I'd have to repeat. Just a thought.

/ RK 24 out of fuel #6  
I have the RK37 that I have ran out of fuel with. I had the similar issue after refilling the tank. Not sure if the same process works on the RK24 but the RK37 has a bleed port in the fuel line that you open to allow the air to escape. Just open the bleed screw then turn the key on to activate the fuel pump. Do it in short 10 second or soi intervals until fuel escapes fron the open bleed screw. Once there is fuel escaping the air has been forced out of the line and the tractor should start after a couple tries. There should be something in your manual about bleeding the system after replacing the fuel filter........Good luck.

/ RK 24 out of fuel
... There should be something in your manual about bleeding the system after replacing the fuel filter....
looked in the manual, all it says is "Bleed the fuel system".
There is a diagram showing the 'Fuel Filler Cock', But No indication of where to bleed.

/ RK 24 out of fuel #8  
I looked at the manual for the RK24 and page 5-13 as you said just mentions the "fuel filler cock". Kind of sucky instructions to the say the least. I would think that maybe opening that might allow any trapped air to escape but I don't see any mention to close it after letting it run for a few minutes. Hopefully another RK24 owner will chime in...........

/ RK 24 out of fuel
Did you get it to run yet?
No & getting frustrated.
As noted, the instructions in the owners manual is spotty at best.
Went out this morning , tried loosening the bowl around the fuel filter - all that accomplished was to spray diesel all over. Still dies after 1-2 seconds.
The owner manual refers to "fuel injection pump cock" not sure what this is, no pic's in the manual. Found a leaver on what I think is the pump, moved it to the opposite position, no difference. (Spring loaded so it returned to the original position - doing my best not to compound the problem)
Looked up the instructions for the JD 1012R (same engine) - they say it is "self priming", so I would assume the RK24 should be to?
I'm at a lost here.
Trying to get intouch with the RK salesman, but he must be off, as no luck there either.