RK 24 mower deck

/ RK 24 mower deck #1  

blacktruck

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub cadet 2450, JD 420, Ford LGT18H
I am in the market for a new tractor and seriously considering the RK 24 with backhoe and loader. I have a Cub/Yanmar with both of those pieces of equipment but looking for a new tractor (warranty) and just a few more options that I currently do not have. I had seen a video recently sort of detailing the owners experience of getting grass and weeds wrapped around the driveshaft for the mower deck. I was not aware the driveshaft powering the deck comes from the rear of the tractor. Seems to be a fairly long (relatively speaking) driveshaft. Has anybody else ran into this problem or any problems with the driveshaft? I would suppose if a person kept to the lawns it would not be an issue. Good point but I have been known to wander off into the waterways going through the fields around my house. Just checking to see if there are any opinions out there on this.

/ RK 24 mower deck #2  
Many if not most of this size machine use a similar set up. I haven't had any trouble with the PTO shaft to the MMM on my LS. It really isn't that long either.

Remember, these are lawn/finish mowers, not field/brush mowers. They really don't belong in fields with grass or weeds that long.

Blue can be a better value too. I beat their red by quite a bit on price.

/ RK 24 mower deck
Many if not most of this size machine use a similar set up. I haven't had any trouble with the PTO shaft to the MMM on my LS. It really isn't that long either.

Remember, these are lawn/finish mowers, not field/brush mowers. They really don't belong in fields with grass or weeds that long.

Blue can be a better value too. I beat their red by quite a bit on price.

I didn't really think the driveshaft on my CC/Yanmar was that long but maybe it was just the camera angle he was using in the video. I have never had a problem getting grass wrapped around it before and actually had not ever heard of anyone who did until I saw the video. Hence my reason for asking. I actually leave the real weeds and tall grasses for the bush hog. This was just something I had not seen before. I have considered an LS also. My choices are between a Massey Ferguson and an RK and an LS. Each has some advantages that I want.

/ RK 24 mower deck #4  
The MMM driveshaft is maybe a foot long between the U-joints when connected. I have never had any issues with mine, but as it's a finish mower, I've never cut anything higher than 10" with it. I will say though, while not difficult to remove and reattach, the MMM is more involved than what a 3pt finish mower would be. If you're planning to do a lot of swapping back and forth that's something to consider.

Also, since you mentioned a BH, just be aware that on an RK24, while the MMM is able to stay attached and be used with the BH attached, it will be stuck in the lowest position. This is because the MMM uses lift linkage driven by the 3pt hitch, which is inoperable with the BH attached. I treat my MMM and my BH as I do any other implement and attach/use them one at a time. Just stuff to keep in mind.

/ RK 24 mower deck #6  
Not sure about the LS's but on the RK24 the linkage that raises the MMM reaches under the rear axles and connects to L-shaped brackets with a pivot. When the 3pt is raised, the lower lift arms catch these L's and pull them up, which pulls on the MMM linkage and lifts the MMM.

To attach the BH to the RK24, the 3pt left and right lift links are removed (in addition to the top link) and stowed on the BH. There is then a "keeper" bracket that slides over the draw bar that holds the lower lift arms in position (pointing straight back, horizontally). The backhoe is then installed. The 3pt is rendered inoperable due to all this, which means the MMM (if it's still installed) is stuck all the way down.

Not a big deal for me, because I would never want to have both installed at the same time. I will say I took delivery of it that way, and it was a pain to load on the trailer with that MMM all the way down.

/ RK 24 mower deck
The MMM driveshaft is maybe a foot long between the U-joints when connected. I have never had any issues with mine, but as it's a finish mower, I've never cut anything higher than 10" with it. I will say though, while not difficult to remove and reattach, the MMM is more involved than what a 3pt finish mower would be. If you're planning to do a lot of swapping back and forth that's something to consider.

Also, since you mentioned a BH, just be aware that on an RK24, while the MMM is able to stay attached and be used with the BH attached, it will be stuck in the lowest position. This is because the MMM uses lift linkage driven by the 3pt hitch, which is inoperable with the BH attached. I treat my MMM and my BH as I do any other implement and attach/use them one at a time. Just stuff to keep in mind.

I have thought about a rear mount mower but really prefer a mid mount just for ease of use in most areas of my yard. I did not realize that about the mounting system used by the MMM. The only time I have ever had the mower on the tractor with the BH on my CC/Yanmar was when it was delivered. I agree, it seems to work best when you plan the task at hand and have the equipment you need mounted on the tractor. I can't really think of a time when I have ever remotely thought about going from mowing to digging without stopping. It could happen but I doubt it.

/ RK 24 mower deck #9  
I am in the market for a new tractor and seriously considering the RK 24 with backhoe and loader. I have a Cub/Yanmar with both of those pieces of equipment but looking for a new tractor (warranty) and just a few more options that I currently do not have. I had seen a video recently sort of detailing the owners experience of getting grass and weeds wrapped around the driveshaft for the mower deck. I was not aware the driveshaft powering the deck comes from the rear of the tractor. Seems to be a fairly long (relatively speaking) driveshaft. Has anybody else ran into this problem or any problems with the driveshaft? I would suppose if a person kept to the lawns it would not be an issue. Good point but I have been known to wander off into the waterways going through the fields around my house. Just checking to see if there are any opinions out there on this.

Good Morning,

We blew out pto and gearbox input shaft seals. Operator error I suppose, too tall. Grass/weeds just wrapped themselves around and in. Not a machine problem, as I said, more operator error/inexperience with pto driven MMM. RK came out on site and replaced pto seal. Found gear box seal later. Project for this winter! Bought a 4 ft rotary cutter have not had the MMM on since. PTO seal is relatively easy to replace, gearbox seal needs gearbox split to reinstall (as I understand).

/ RK 24 mower deck
Duly noted sir. I have used/misused my other tractors and mowers over the years and not once had this happen. I agree, it seems to be more of operator head space and timing than a tractor issue or design flaw. I use the finish mower about three or four times more often than I do the bush hog. Even this aside I am still liking the RK model. I'm away on a work assignment for awhile longer so still shopping carefully online and not in a hurry to pull the trigger on a new tractor until I get home.