rip rap as a water gap

/ rip rap as a water gap #1  

joeu235

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4020 / 6403 / 317 Ford 5600
I've got a wet weather creek with high banks crossing my property. About once every 2 years it REALLY flows, otherwise its dry. Anyone ever heard of using rip rap in the bottom of a creek instead of constructing a water gap to prevent cattle from moving through it? I do know it would eventually silt up.

/ rip rap as a water gap #2  
What is a water gap ? Every 2 years , lock the cows up .

/ rip rap as a water gap #3  
I've used rip rap in a constantly flowing irrigation ditch that services about 30 properties. Works fine-- no movement.

/ rip rap as a water gap #4  
Is a electric fence a option to stop cattle from moving through or is the creek a means of access hence needing a 'trail' ...at that I would build a trail and fence off the creek...hard to make a out right suggestion without understanding the lay of the land and what fully needs to be accomplished
Otherwise is there a conservation/gov authority that could be used as a resource for ideas suitable to your area/creek/needs.

/ rip rap as a water gap #5  
Since I didn't know what a water gap is, I googled it and found out that it's a stream that goes through a mountain. So I still don't know what it means in your post. Rip Rap is broken up chunks of hard materials, like concrete, or rock or brick or whatever that is used to stop erosion. I use it all the time in ditches that form from too much water when it rains, and where my culverts empty the water so the water doesn't wash out the soil. How does it stop cattle?

/ rip rap as a water gap #6  
The rock in the bed will not stop cattle from venturing across it, especially after some dirt has settled in and made it smoother.

A water gap would be easier and less cost than the rip-rap. If the water only comes up every couple of years there will be virtually no maintenance to the water gap. Set some good post and hang a couple of old gates across the creek.

/ rip rap as a water gap #7  
Since I didn't know what a water gap is, I googled it and found out that it's a stream that goes through a mountain. So I still don't know what it means in your post. Rip Rap is broken up chunks of hard materials, like concrete, or rock or brick or whatever that is used to stop erosion. I use it all the time in ditches that form from too much water when it rains, and where my culverts empty the water so the water doesn't wash out the soil. How does it stop cattle?

In Missouri, a water gap is a fence crossing a water path such as small stream or creek. They are a bitc* to control here. Every big rain tries to take out the fence. I think he's asking if he can stack rip rap which in theory would let the water thru and create a wall obstacle that the cows can't traverse. :)

/ rip rap as a water gap #8  
The rock in the bed will not stop cattle from venturing across it, especially after some dirt has settled in and made it smoother.

A water gap would be easier and less cost than the rip-rap. If the water only comes up every couple of years there will be virtually no maintenance to the water gap. Set some good post and hang a couple of old gates across the creek.

Best I've saw was a strong cable spanning the creek with the top rail of the pipe gates fastened to the cable. Bottom of the gates resting on the creek floor. This allowed them to swing open and let rushing water/trash thru. Required a visit after a large rain to make sure nothing have caught on the gates and held them open.

/ rip rap as a water gap #9  
I get old sidewalls off of car tires from the tire shop and put them on the cable. Then wire the sidewall to the old tube gates. oil pressure gauge 004.jpgoil pressure gauge 005.jpg

It does require constant surveillance and removal of limbs caught in and under the metal.

/ rip rap as a water gap #10  
D2, I looked at your pic and instantly thought "that's a typical Missouri water gap", then remembered your location!!!! Cheap and very effective!!!! The Missouri way!!!! :D