RIP JD425 vs. X730 Series

/ RIP JD425 vs. X730 Series #1  

sriddle1

Silver Member
Tractor
ACTIVE: JDX730 DAYS GONE BY: JD3010, JD790, JD425
After chasing engine issues over the past 4 months and spending > $3K, I'm throwing in the towel and searching for a reliable replacement. Since my purchase in 2000, the '93 425 with its 60-inch mower deck and Front Mount 47" Blower has remained reliable companion over the years and has met the rigors of cutting 7 acres and blowing snow here in New Hampshire.

I want something reliable for the next 15 years, that's all I ask. I've always been a JD supporter but these days many tell me the quality and the heftiness of the new Garden Tractors vs. the 425 it not what it used to be. I suspect these days of trying to control pricing, less structural design and lower grade materials may be used. In short, the old saying applies, "I don't know what I don't know". I do have one concern after my recent experiences, does JD have the support staff to maintain their products, I would hope a late year X730 series Tractor would be simple to maintain and test, perhaps an ODB like testing capability, something. It seems like there's a shortage of qualified & seasoned technicians in this industry like so many others, hope those design engineers @ John Deere are ahead of the curve.

My search keeps circling me back to a X730 series, 2WD, Gas and external hydraulic couplings, simple enough. I need some muscle so the 25 HP should meet my needs. I have a 47" blower I used with a quick connect on the 425, it was connected via a rear PTO, wondering if I could use that with an attaching kit for a X730, more research I see. From a year/hours standpoint I see the magical warranty numbers are 4 years or 700 hours, any thoughts on that would be appreciated. To maintain the warranty does it require the owner to take the tractor to a JD Dealership for service, at least that would assure maintenance was performed properly and on-time. I would think I'd want to obtain a 20-22 used machine with no more than say 200 hours. Wondering about any inherent design issues, the 425 had the infamous vinyl cam shaft.

Thanks again for any thoughts on this, I'm focused on making a purchase before October, one last thing, I see allot of reasonably priced X730's out in the Midwest from JD Dealerships, has anyone had any experience in shipping these across country. Just a few years ago I would have thought about driving out and hauling it back, not anymore.

/ RIP JD425 vs. X730 Series #2  
I have no personal experience but a friend of mine has an X73* series that has been very dependable for him. I do not recall the exact model that he has though. He has 2 stage snow blower and I believe 60” inch mower deck.

My son has an X749 that has been severely used and abused. He had to replace the transaxle last winter when one of the gears broke and split the case. It had over 2200 hours when this happened.

/ RIP JD425 vs. X730 Series #3  
I was looking at a used x758, in Indiana, and if shipping it to VA I was quoted $800. I year ago I bought a JD 3320 and shipping it from Michigan to VA was $500.

/ RIP JD425 vs. X730 Series
I was looking at a used x758, in Indiana, and if shipping it to VA I was quoted $800. I year ago I bought a JD 3320 and shipping it from Michigan to VA was $500.
How did you go about getting a quote for that, was it "uship" by chance. Thanks.......

/ RIP JD425 vs. X730 Series #5  
The dealer arranged the shipping and it was part of the sales contract. Tried uship but didn't have much luck with it.

/ RIP JD425 vs. X730 Series
The dealer arranged the shipping, and it was part of the sales contract. Tried uship but didn't have much luck with it.
Thanks for the feedback ! I've been looking at the Sales Tax issue, most states require payment for items sold in that state. If I "take possession" in NH there's no sales tax required, and a a Tax Form issued by NH is sent back to that state. The legalese, "Take Possession" so that means I would have to work with the selling dealer (like you did) to arrange for shipping. I've been on the machinefinder site, it lists all the new and used JD garden tractors in inventory at JD Dealerships throughout the U.S. The Midwest seems to be Big League Green Country, having lived in Minnesota I know that to be true, I've sent some emails, hope to hear from them.