Riding Mower suggestion

/ Riding Mower suggestion #1  

tremor

Tractor
N/A
I'm currently using an 02 JD Sabre with a 42" deck for my 1 acre. It's currently working for me, but with the machine being 13 years old, it's starting to get tired.
So I'm starting to look around at something that'll suit my needs bettet. I have a lot of trees, bushes, plants and hardscaping to go around, and in some areas the 42" deck just fits between stuff. To make matters worse, the lot has a lot of exposed tree roots and rocks. Granted the solution here would be to drive around and avoid them, but in cases they are not visible and you only find them after they grind the blades. I also have some drainage ditches that I'd prefer to cut with the mower, rather than the electric wacker. Finally, I find leaving grass trimmings on the ground unsightly and prefer to pick them up with a bagger.
Is there truly any machine that'll suit my needs? I'm liking the JD X304 4WS, but is there anything else that might fit the bill?

Edit: wondering why a tractor for a single acre? I used to do my own acre and my neighbors 3 acres, for a total of 4.

/ Riding Mower suggestion #2  
The Husqvarna R322T AWD with Combi 103 (41") mowing deck might be a consideration. 2 R322T-1.jpg
It has articulating steering which allows it to be very nimble mowing around objects. It's all wheel drive which gives it excellent traction on steep slopes, or damp ditches.
Even though it has a really small turning radius and AWD it does not cause turf damage while making tight maneuvers. The Combi 103 deck can be used as a rear discharge or mulching deck, I prefer the mulching deck option, and get very few visible clippings on my lawn. Some folks I know tow a sweeper for those few visible clippings.
Compared to my old Wheel Horse 416H, which was a typical garden tractor (engine in front with a belly mower). The R322T has the engine in the rear and mower deck up front.
With the rear engine design, engine noise seems less, no engine heat is felt and no engine exhaust exposure, as I use to get from my Wheel Horse.
With a front mount mower deck, the grass gets mowed before the front tires of the tractor mash it down, you gain the ability to mow under things (shrubs, benches), the deck flips up quickly and easily to the service position, (cleaning out clippings, sharpen or replace blades). The deck also can be removed very easily and quickly.
AWD and 4wd machines can be expensive, the R322T AWD is probably more expensive than the JD x304 AWS 2wd, but the R322T is the least costly of any AWD or 4wd I think you'll find.

/ Riding Mower suggestion #3  
Your choices are: lawn tractor, garden tractor, rear engine riding mower, zero turn mower, front-mount mower, or something like a BCS tractor (power head) with a front-mount mower and a sulky.

The question you need to answer is what form factor works best in my conditions.

/ Riding Mower suggestion #4  
I had nearly the same decision to make last month and picked up the jd x304. It's a great machine and rides and mows smooth.

/ Riding Mower suggestion #5  
A number of Deere lawn tractors that will do well for you. I like the size and quality and long term life of the older 400 series... i.e. 425,445,455. Used they are in about the same price range as new. All mine are AWS and about 15 yr old but are real work horses.
Good size tires make for a smoother ride that is better for the back.
Beware of the cheering sections trying to woo you away from your Deere of choice. :D

/ Riding Mower suggestion
My JD dealer has been nothing but awesome to me, my dad and my grandfather.
I went out and measured the tightest areas. I could, MAYBE get away with a 54" deck, so long as the machine itself isn't much wider than the deck, with the chute on.

/ Riding Mower suggestion #7  
Which ever you choose I would purchase from a servicing dealer. Not a box store. They have no service and are only looking at how many units they can sell and get out the door. In six months whoever sold it to you probably won't even be working there.

/ Riding Mower suggestion
Home Depot is 2 minutes away, and the dealer is two hours away.
I'd rather go to the dealer any day.

/ Riding Mower suggestion #9  
A local dealer is the way to go no matter what you decide to buy. As several members said, a box store is only about selling numbers of units, NO service at all and a major problem to get anything replaced when it fails.

/ Riding Mower suggestion #10  
I replaced a 42" deck with a 54" and found I could get closer to trees/buildings because the deck sits so far out from the machine.On the down side;if your lawn isn't flat you will get some scalping with the wide decks.
Look at the Simplicty Broadmore with the 50" deck;well made rig.