Riding in Bucket Death

/ Riding in Bucket Death #2  
Sorry to see this.

A SS is horrible dangerous to use the bucket for a scaffold, carry-all, whatever. Hard to have smooth control of the bucket.

Today my Sons and I were leveling a pad for a portable building to be added at my Eldest Son's property. It's going to sit under the shade of a large Maple tree. Eldest Son running a CTL, youngest Son in the bucket using it for a "lift" to pole saw off some tree limbs 15ft in the air. I was a nervous wreck. Gave them the Father lecture sternly.

/ Riding in Bucket Death #3  
It's always tragic when something like this happens. He was just trying to help.

/ Riding in Bucket Death #4  
Sorry to see this.

A SS is horrible dangerous to use the bucket for a scaffold, carry-all, whatever. Hard to have smooth control of the bucket.

Today my Sons and I were leveling a pad for a portable building to be added at my Eldest Son's property. It's going to sit under the shade of a large Maple tree. Eldest Son running a CTL, youngest Son in the bucket using it for a "lift" to pole saw off some tree limbs 15ft in the air. I was a nervous wreck. Gave them the Father lecture sternly.

"Under the shade of a large maple tree" is a bad idea (maybe not for a portable bldg.) .

Twice I built near large trees.
The first time the tree died.
The second time the tree blew over.

My son is about to build a garage, and insists he will save a large maple.
I tell him ....NO...cut the tree down!
I have experience!

/ Riding in Bucket Death #5  
"Under the shade of a large maple tree" is a bad idea (maybe not for a portable bldg.) .

Twice I built near large trees.
The first time the tree died.
The second time the tree blew over.

My son is about to build a garage, and insists he will save a large maple.
I tell him ....NO...cut the tree down!
I have experience!

If you want shade, build under trees.

If you don't want shade, build away from trees.

Never, ever think you can build away from trees and then have shade. Life isn't that long. :)

/ Riding in Bucket Death #6  
If you build close enough to the tree to disturb the roots, the tree will die. It's better to cut it first.

/ Riding in Bucket Death #7  
Just last week I was pole sawing (gas powered) as high as it could extend. I am in the process of clearing the overhang of my Osage Orange hedge along the property line.

The saw cut right through a 8" limb and it fell right away and grazed me, knocking me to the ground. You just can't tell which way a long heavy limb is going to fall. Well, i got up and found no broken bones, so continued to work.....just lucky it didn't hurt me real bad. Most of us old geezers work alone and are at risk just about all day long. I run the smaller limbs thru the chipper; and chain saw the bigger parts into stacks to deal with later. 004.JPG
Sorry to read about the young man that was killed.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Riding in Bucket Death #8  
Once saw Ontario provincial Police having stopped a Menonite Skid Steer at the side of the highway with at least two riders in the bucket.

It's just such an unforgiving structure, and generally falling out, puts you right in the path of the machine.

/ Riding in Bucket Death #9  
Very sad news indeed thoughts/prayers to family.

/ Riding in Bucket Death #10  
oldballs
Just last week I was pole sawing (gas powered) as high as it could extend. I am in the process of clearing the overhang of my Osage Orange hedge along the property line.

The saw cut right through a 8" limb and it fell right away and grazed me, knocking me to the ground. You just can't tell which way a long heavy limb is going to fall. Well, i got up and found no broken bones, so continued to work.....just lucky it didn't hurt me real bad. Most of us old geezers work alone and are at risk just about all day long.
----------------------------
Glad your okay Mike...whew,yep about working alone.