Rid pond of algae???

/ Rid pond of algae??? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I have a really small spring reservoir, about 60ft x 20ft x 6ft deep but it's getting algae I noticed, started a couple weeks ago.
What's best to kill it that's not harmful (water still drinkable).
Thanks.

/ Rid pond of algae??? #2  
I use a product from TSC...think it is called AquaBlue. Will not kill algae but prevents it. Water is ok for fish and animals.

/ Rid pond of algae??? #3  
Straw bails will soak up the algae. There are also fish that eat algae.

/ Rid pond of algae???
Thanks for ideas so far. Looks like tractor supply I can get .... EcoLox Blue Pond and Lake Dye at Tractor Supply Co.
Straw sounds good and I'll look into algae eater fish. There are some.

/ Rid pond of algae??? #5  
Pond Algae Control in Koi and Fish Ponds

When I did Koi ponds many years ago I could get a powder that would kill algae. You just had to make sure you kept the filters clean and the water moving since it took a lot of the oxygen as the algae died.

/ Rid pond of algae??? #6  
Thanks for ideas so far. Looks like tractor supply I can get .... EcoLox Blue Pond and Lake Dye at Tractor Supply Co.
Straw sounds good and I'll look into algae eater fish. There are some.

Amazon has stuff too

/ Rid pond of algae??? #7  
Algae is in your pond because nutrients are draining into the pond. Look for way to divert nutrient rich runoff. Look for Tilapia - they are a breed of fish that only eat algae. Be careful of products containing copper or copper sulfate. They will kill the algae and most all aquatic life.

If you can get ahold of Tilapia and they get established - then get bass. Tilapia eat algae - bass eat Tilapia.

/ Rid pond of algae??? #8  
At Farm stores there is a product called Copper Sulfate that removes algae quickly. follow directions and one day it is gone
Just used on my pond this Monday and water is now clear.
ken

/ Rid pond of algae??? #9  
I also believe that using some sort of air pump will kill off the algae, not a shop compressor but something more like the output from a vacuum cleaner.
eg; high volume low pressure.

/ Rid pond of algae??? #10  
Aeration is the right way to address this. You don't need much for a pond this size. Look on line and you will find lots of suppliers. It's a much healthier solution than chemicals.