rewind a motor

/ rewind a motor #1  

gws

Platinum Member
Tractor
yanmar ym1810
I have an old wincharger windmil. Its part of an old farm radio setup. The motor was orginally wired for 6v but no longer generates ANY voltage. Does anyone know of a company that can rewire the motor? Preferable to 12v?

/ rewind a motor #2  
gary: try any of the local autoparts stores in you're area, and also look under industrial motors in you're area, phone book and or the internet. there are lots of rebuilders around my area so you should beable to find one, in you'rs... also update the profile to show where you are so people can see it right away and would know if they are near ya.

mark

/ rewind a motor #3  
Gary, most any motor rebuild shop COULD do this for you. They money for them would be little so they most likely pass on it. Would help you if you had a friend in the business. I have one, but I live in mississippi. he would help me I am sure, so let me know if I might help you.........teddy

/ rewind a motor #4  
This is just a thought, but

An old windmill generator--is it old enough to be a GENERATOR vs alternator?

If so perhaps it needs to be 'flashed' with the battery.

All old car generators were supposed to have the field 'flashed' in order to get them going.

The problem might be that simple.

Good luck!

/ rewind a motor #5  
Depending on how the drivetrain is connected to the generator, you might be better off replacing that old generator with a modern alternator. Got any pictures, particularly of the workings?