Reversing an electric motor

/ Reversing an electric motor #1  

RobA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HST
I bought a Hayrite hay elevator and electric motor from Tractor Supply. Finally got it assembled only to find out the chain is going the wrong way :mad:. I do not want to reverse the elevator and put the end with the motor (and all of the weight) at the ground level. Is there an EASY way to reverse the direction of the motor? Hopefully this is a stupid question and I am missing something obvious.

/ Reversing an electric motor #2  
I depends on the motor. Is it 1 ph or 3 ph ? 3 ph just flip any two of the three power leads.
Some 1 ph capacitor start motors can be reversed. Usually in the wiring area there will be a diagram showing the changes for reversing.

paul

/ Reversing an electric motor #3  
First, you have to figure out if the motor is reversible.
Some are not reversible.
Some are reversible and it is easily done by moving wires from one post to another inside the cover.
Usually, is says so on the motor housing if it reversible, or with the instructions that came with it.
If not, remove the cover on the motor where the power cord goes in.
Sometimes the directions for reversing is in there.

/ Reversing an electric motor #4  
Pull the cover off and see if the starting winding connections are available to you. If the start winding connections are available, reversing them will reverse the motor rotation. Usually wires 5 and 8 or red and black

How about changing the side the motor is on would be some work, but a possibility.

/ Reversing an electric motor #5  
My HAYRITE elevator was assembled when I bought it. The motor is set up on the bottom of the elevator.

/ Reversing an electric motor #6  
I have a switch on mine so I can run it in either direction. This is because we use it in the mow to load hay or to unload it when it gets delivered. I'm pretty sure a motor from TSC is reversable. Make sure its a TEFC type. You don't want hay chaff to get in and start a fire.

The motor is usually at ground level because the people loading hay should have control of the movement in case it S.T.B's. Also, if a single bale gets to the top when the elevator is on a trolley, it will get top heavy and tip.

/ Reversing an electric motor #7  
You need to look at the motor cover. Everything you need to know should be on there. Most motors are dual voltage and dual rotation. There should be four different ways to connect the wires - all on the nameplate.

/ Reversing an electric motor #8  
Of cource you could always reverse the motor itself , make a new bracket for it if possible.I had a cement mixer that ran 'backwards ' for many years. but lent it out and it came back with the motor turned end to end and a new bracket , etc. so now it doesnt splatter the cement out at me..lol

Last edited:
   / Reversing an electric motor #9  
Seems to me that it's a bit dangerous to put the motor at the top. I've always seen them with the motor on the bottom and I think there's a reason for that. But that's just me.

Also, am I confused, or will the teeth that grab the bales be backwards? Maybe new ones have bi-directional teeth. I guess I haven't looked real close.

Cliff

/ Reversing an electric motor #10  
1) you can flip the motor over, but that will likely mean you have to mount the motor outside the frame of the elevator, no longer under it.

2) add a reversing sprocket to the chain, requires you re-do the chain/pully setup but will let you keep the motor under the elevator.