return line plumbing challenge

/ return line plumbing challenge #1  

Chaostamer

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3215 w/ FEL & Kubota M6040 w FEL
I have a 3215 HST and am trying to install a post pounder on it. I need to get a 3/4 to 1' return hose tied back into the unit. I know tying in below the fluid level is best, but I cannot find a place to drill and tap a hole and there is no original port large enough. Location suggestions are welcome.

My leading idea right now is second best - drop it in through the fill cap. However, the threads seem to be odd. Does anyone know what style of threads they used and where to get a connector for it? I have checked with my local dealer and he cannot figure out from the books what the thread style is. Any thoughts on how to tie in are most welcomed!

/ return line plumbing challenge #2  
I am going to assume you are getting your supply/pressure from a rear remote to your pounder implement? If not, where are you picking up your hydraulics to activate it? There should be a return QD as well as the supply at the rear remote where you would want to return the oil to.

/ return line plumbing challenge
Browneyesvictim - thanks for the reply. I am picking up the line from a remote in the back. The trouble is that line is too small for the return. For the pounder to work it must have a path for that fluid to exit that is basically unobstructed and unrestricted.

/ return line plumbing challenge #4  
All the returns are "unobstructed" but should return through the hydraulic filter. That is how it should be. I wouldn't bypass that to tank. What will come into play for you is in regard to flow. Your tractor will supply a certain GPM maximum to your implement and your return hoses need to support the same and are typically a size larger. In any event, the size of the hose on the return flow should be sufficient for the flow the pump is putting out. don't think you are going to find 3/4 or 1" returns on your tractor. That sounds like overkill to me on your pounder implement. Can you help out with a make/model you are working with?

/ return line plumbing challenge #5  
Browneyesvictim - thanks for the reply. I am picking up the line from a remote in the back. The trouble is that line is too small for the return. For the pounder to work it must have a path for that fluid to exit that is basically unobstructed and unrestricted.

Exactly, the return line cannot go through the remote as it will constrict the flow too much and it won't pound the post in.
I would advise against drilling and tapping the differential case on your tractor. Regardless of how you drill and tap it you will end up with metal shaving somewhere you don't want them. On three tractors I've either used or seen post drivers on the return line was plumbed into the fill hole which created absolutely no problem at all. On my tractor (not a Mahindra) I simply stuck the return hose into the hole and it was a tight enough fit that it only flopped out a few times to which hydraulic fluid went everywhere. What I would advise is to ask a dealer for a case drain adapter (or) some sort of fitting to go into the fill hole that you can plumb into.

One option I thought of on my tractor was to get another fill plug, open it up and braze a pipe nipple onto it to then plumb into. But instead I chose the route of it it flops out and spills fluid I'll add more fluid. The driver was borrowed and I don't care to use it again. It worked well for what I needed it to do and did it fast and put posts in solid, but the tractor seemed like it too a beating, and it kinda beats the top of the posts up.

/ return line plumbing challenge #6  
One option I thought of on my tractor was to get another fill plug, open it up and braze a pipe nipple onto it to then plumb into. But instead I chose the route of it it flops out and spills fluid I'll add more fluid. The driver was borrowed and I don't care to use it again. It worked well for what I needed it to do and did it fast and put posts in solid, but the tractor seemed like it too a beating, and it kinda beats the top of the posts up.

On an early Kubota I had, the dealer sold me an adapter to the fill hole so I could plumb my
return line (for my hoe) into it. Worked fine.

On my current Kioti, I welded in a fitting to my breather/fill port to try to reduce return
pressure. In this case, it did not work so well, as the fluid in the return line would often
come up and out the breather. This was also for a hoe.

For a post-pounder, a return line hose one size larger than the pressure line should be more
than adequate.

Of all the makers, I have only seen Deere provide additional ports on the tractor
castings for return lines.

Running a post-pounder (or demo hammer) from a tractor does cause fatigue cracks to
the tractor. There are many skidsteers out there that have been all cracked up from
demo hammer use.

/ return line plumbing challenge
Thanks all for the feedback/thoughts. I am curious for those that have used post pounders - how much of a beating does it put on the tractor?

/ return line plumbing challenge #8  
Thanks all for the feedback/thoughts. I am curious for those that have used post pounders - how much of a beating does it put on the tractor?
The post pounder I used does not have a stabilizer, ie; a frame of legs that sit on the ground so that most of the shock goes into the ground rather than the tractor. It is my understanding this is much better and puts less of a beating on the machine.
I personally did not sit on my tractor while using the pounder, I was on the ground operating it. From what I observed when I had my loader on it was bouncing up and down while pounding posts. From what my dad told me when he was on the tractor is that he felt every jolt. In the aftermath I have noticed the leveling mechanism on my 3 pt often works itself unlevel. Note that this is on a Ford 3910 utility ag tractor that weight about 5000 lbs without a loader.

For what it's worth if I was using the post pounder I borrowed and was doing ALOT of this work I would wait for rainy/muddy/wet ground conditions and I would put it on a tractor that was already beat up OR I would build a frame that set the pounder on the ground and put less shock on a tractor.

However I did get about 900' of fence posts in the ground in one day with 20' spacing and my smallest post was 6" diameter, largest was about 10," all of which were fresh cut black locust trees or treated 6x6's.