Retirement thoughts Past Present Future

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,662  
Most of the farms around here are using illegals or they aren’t started getting the work done. On my walk yesterday I spent 20 minutes or so watching a Spanish-speaking crew roughing in a house, I was amazed at their ability to work. it is rare to see a “white” crew in the carpentry, cement, paving, or landscaping industry around here.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,663  
Most of the farms around here are using illegals or they aren’t started getting the work done. On my walk yesterday I spent 20 minutes or so watching a Spanish-speaking crew roughing in a house, I was amazed at their ability to work. it is rare to see a “white” crew in the carpentry, cement, paving, or landscaping industry around here.
About the same proportions here in NorCal. Except I expect more Mexicans, Salvadorians, etc are presenting 'plausable' paperwork and the employer is submitting the deductions properly, so he's staying legal. The penalties are pretty severe for a bogus employer. I know of one farm that went down due to labor violations.

Also many first-generation American-born are business owners, still as hard workers as their parents were.

Immigration is providing the next generation of labor (and the tech field too) as the white birthrate declines. Times are changing, we need to accept this is the new America. The Statue of Liberty is still relevant.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,664  
Most of the farms around here are using illegals or they aren’t started getting the work done. On my walk yesterday I spent 20 minutes or so watching a Spanish-speaking crew roughing in a house...
Are you sure they're indeed illegal? Lots of legal immigrants and 2nd gen's still speak Spanish, especially amongst their own, at least around here.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,665  
Are you sure they're indeed illegal? Lots of legal immigrants and 2nd gen's still speak Spanish, especially amongst their own, at least around here.
Many are, they all have “papers” but false paperwork is easy. Many of my friends are farmers so I know first hand.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,666  
About the same proportions here in NorCal. Except I expect more Mexicans, Salvadorians, etc are presenting 'plausable' paperwork and the employer is submitting the deductions properly, so he's staying legal. The penalties are pretty severe for a bogus employer. I know of one farm that went down due to labor violations.

Also many first-generation American-born are business owners, still as hard workers as their parents were.

Immigration is providing the next generation of labor (and the tech field too) as the white birthrate declines. Times are changing, we need to accept this is the new America. The Statue of Liberty is still relevant.
As Dylan said “the Times, they are a changing “

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,667  
I worked many times in a food processing plant near here on equipment operated by young Hispanic ladies (20 - 25 yo)
I needed to explain things to them and needed help from a supervisor, I could never understand why these young people would not want to learn English for their own good.
In all my years of working around Spanish speaking people I often thought I should have learned to speak Spanish years ago.
Would of saved much time and aggregation on my part.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,668  
40 hours per week adds up over the course of a year… as an engineer I learned just like Doctors that employment law often exempts certain professions from overtime, etc once a certain level of income is reached.

Also Vesting is much sooner as a matter of law in my state now and the Congressman Stark used me as an example when the shorter vesting scheduled was crafted…
Many years ago my boss and HR boss informed me that I was being taken off of salary and put back on hourly, and that due to my technical skills and job classification I would not get overtime. I wasn't getting overtime on salary, so the only real issue was that my life insurance that was paid for by the company was cut in half, a savings of about $20 per month. That's it. I was mad, because my wife was pregnant with our 1st child, and life insurance was very important to me.

Well, I just thought that smacked of stupidity and petty penny pinching, as well as my bosses personal feeling that I should not be a salaried employee because he did not think I was of the social caliber required for that elite status. It was the principal of the thing that upset me the most.

So I consulted a labor lawyer...

- Can they make me hourly and not pay me overtime?
Yes. Certain jobs with certain technical abilities in electronics and computers that are essential to the business are exempt from overtime.
- So I'm screwed?
No. Turn the page over.
While they are exempt from overtime, there is a minimum hourly rate of $26 per hour.
- I make $14 an hour
They owe you some cash! ;)

So I had a meeting with the VP that oversaw my boss and the HR boss and presented my case. He just rolled his eyes and made a comment about "those doofuses" and said he'd take care of it.

Several weeks later, I was put back on salary and handed a fat check for back overtime, and got a raise.

And my boss and the HR boss had to apologize to me in front of the VP.

They pulled a similar stunt with me on another issue a few years later and would not reimburse me for expenses related to my employment. I made another visit to the VP, they had to hand me another check, and apologize again.

🙃

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,669  
When I croak, I hope it's in a nice warm bed, at night, in my sleep, when I'm well past 100. ;)

Probably not realistic, but I'd like to try.
Not sure 100 would be a a desirable age. I am an ER nurse and see the many things that take a person down. Men generally have prostate issues. You either cannot pee or have prostate / bladder problems. The women often have severe osteoporosis, spontaneous fractures and length rehab with surgeries. Living a long life that has independent living is the goal. Dr. Peter Atia offers a podcast called Drive that adds to one’s understanding. Personally I expect some drunk or impaired to kill me while I am cycling. I have seen the pressure sores and lost cognitive conditions. Old is not so desired.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,670  
Many years ago my boss and HR boss informed me that I was being taken off of salary and put back on hourly, and that due to my technical skills and job classification I would not get overtime. I wasn't getting overtime on salary, so the only real issue was that my life insurance that was paid for by the company was cut in half, a savings of about $20 per month. That's it. I was mad, because my wife was pregnant with our 1st child, and life insurance was very important to me.

Well, I just thought that smacked of stupidity and petty penny pinching, as well as my bosses personal feeling that I should not be a salaried employee because he did not think I was of the social caliber required for that elite status. It was the principal of the thing that upset me the most.

So I consulted a labor lawyer...

- Can they make me hourly and not pay me overtime?
Yes. Certain jobs with certain technical abilities in electronics and computers that are essential to the business are exempt from overtime.
- So I'm screwed?
No. Turn the page over.
While they are exempt from overtime, there is a minimum hourly rate of $26 per hour.
- I make $14 an hour
They owe you some cash! ;)

So I had a meeting with the VP that oversaw my boss and the HR boss and presented my case. He just rolled his eyes and made a comment about "those doofuses" and said he'd take care of it.

Several weeks later, I was put back on salary and handed a fat check for back overtime, and got a raise.

And my boss and the HR boss had to apologize to me in front of the VP.

They pulled a similar stunt with me on another issue a few years later and would not reimburse me for expenses related to my employment. I made another visit to the VP, they had to hand me another check, and apologize again.

🙃
Wow Moss, you were quite the troublemaker ! Ha ha 🤣