Retirement thoughts Past Present Future

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,421  
Sometimes we discuss retirement and my friends will say, "I've worked this long to get here, so why quit now?"
I've worked this long to get here, why continue to work now? 🙂

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,423  
I'm a work from home engineer, 20+ years, for a small-ish global company. I'm 63 so full FRA is 4 years out. We keep building up the 401k. I like my job...

I've always said I'd keep at it as long as it's still fun. The pay is good, benefits good and a lot of global travel my wife gets to come along. My past boss would ask, "is your wife coming on this trip?? we hope so". My wife has been to China 4 times , Thailand 3 times , Hongkong 3 times, Cambodia, Italy3 times, Germany, Spain and the last two weeks we are in Prague, her 5th or 6th time.

Many folks plan to travel once they retire, we will like to see the USA

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,424  
I'm a work from home engineer, 20+ years, for a small-ish global company. I'm 63 so full FRA is 4 years out. We keep building up the 401k. I like my job...

I've always said I'd keep at it as long as it's still fun. The pay is good, benefits good and a lot of global travel my wife gets to come along. My past boss would ask, "is your wife coming on this trip?? we hope so". My wife has been to China 4 times , Thailand 3 times , Hongkong 3 times, Cambodia, Italy3 times, Germany, Spain and the last two weeks we are in Prague, her 5th or 6th time.

Many folks plan to travel once they retire, we will like to see the USA
My wife had to travel for work annually for conferences/training. All within the US, but I could come along if I wanted to. She'd find deals where if she stayed longer than the event, like 5 days instead of 3, she'd actually get cheaper hotel and airfare. The company liked her for that. Sometimes I'd rent a car, and be her and her coworkers' chauffeur. I'd go off and explore, play some frisbee golf, see some sights, and pick them up after conference and drive them around to dinner, other sights, etc... it was a great perk. (y) (y)

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,425  
"I've worked this long to get here, so why quit now?"
I've worked this long to get here, why continue to work now? 🙂
Depends on the person, how many hobbies, etc. you have to keep yourself occupied when you don't have a job to take up 40 hours a week. Likewise, your social circle outside of co-workers (or lack thereof). Way too easy to turn into a crabby old stick in the mud if you don't have some social/activity outlet.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future
#2,426  
Depends on the person, how many hobbies, etc. you have to keep yourself occupied when you don't have a job to take up 40 hours a week. Likewise, your social circle outside of co-workers (or lack thereof). Way too easy to turn into a crabby old stick in the mud if you don't have some social/activity outlet.
Content of retirees posts can be quite revealing about our world views. Work is the social/activity outlet for many. Some look forward towards personal growth and some will do the opposite. Having 15 animals around your place and spending time in nature every day works for some and not for others. Being negative and controlling of others is a major health risk. Retirement can bring the best and/or worse of our traits out for the world to see. :)

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,427  
Some people are "self starters", others require a shot of ether to get started.
Another thing to look at is your real NET income after all the quantifiable costs of working (commuting, meals, "nice clothes", taxes etc.) are included.
With a good pension plan (including medical) many people who still put in 40 hours a week after 40 years at the job are NETting a pittance.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,428  
My friends are mostly outside of work, or from previous jobs. I have more time to socialize now that I retired.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,429  
Content of retirees posts can be quite revealing about our world views. Work is the social/activity outlet for many. Some look forward towards personal growth and some will do the opposite. Having 15 animals around your place and spending time in nature every day works for some and not for others. Being negative and controlling of others is a major health risk. Retirement can bring the best and/or worse of our traits out for the world to see. :)
The holland chart is one source for profiling personalities. I would tend to be in the top right group. Forced socializing in a work setting was by far the main reason for retiring. Now I'm free to build, create, and grow with zero oversite and drama. 66be22096bd87b0848691e1ee4363c08.jpg
MBTI personality profiles are another source. For some all of this is meaningless. But for those either investigating careers, or struggling with self identity, or just curious, it all does explain a lot.

Last edited:
   / Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,430  
The holland chart is one source for profiling personalities. I would tend to be in the top right group. Forced socializing in a work setting was by far the main reason for retiring. Now I'm free to build, create, and grow with zero oversite and drama.View attachment 797538
MBTI personality profiles are another source. For some all of this is meaningless. But for those either investigating careers, or struggling with self identity, or just curious, it all does explain a lot.
Interesting, I think I fit in all of those but Artistic the least.