Retirement thoughts Past Present Future

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,413  
   / Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,414  
My Dr won't renew my medication (just a statin) unless I do a yearly. I thought that was universal. I guess if you were not on medication and were a young buck.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,415  
I've kinda lost track. But pretty sure I've had an Annual Checkup for 25 years.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,416  
After reading that article I'm glad the writers are not my MD.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future
#2,417  
Having some W-2 wages after signing up at age 70 in 2021 has given me a small benefits boost the last two years and and a fraction of it mirrors through to the wife who is drawing off of my account until she turns 70.

This is all automated. While it's not a lot of $$ it should pay my Medicare when she is no longer has a family plan. At least it's a surprise in the right direction.

As they say, every little bit helps. :)

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,418  
That's very interesting. Big spread in the 62-64 age, I wonder if that has anything to do with waiting for Medicare? Am I reading this right that 29% of 70+ yr olds wait that long to retire?
The way I read it, the first column was the age people expected/planned to retire, the 2nd was when they actually did. So by that interpretation, almost 30% thought they'd wait 'til 70, but only 7% actually did, with just under 70% retiring before age 65.

The 2nd graph was a bit more interesting...did the number of 75+ year olds in the workforce almost double vs 10 years ago? Poor financial planning or something else?

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,419  
Having some W-2 wages after signing up at age 70 in 2021 has given me a small benefits boost the last two years
I signed up for SS at 62. Had just lost my job and wasn't sure I'd find another with similar pay without a long commute. As it happened, the freelance/contract self-employment work I found brought in more than I thought, so when I hit 66 they recalculated and I got quite a bump. No increases since then even though I'm still doing some work (as reported on 1099s).
Last year had to start making withdrawals from my IRA, but since I'm still earning some income am able to keep contributing to it. Kind of like taking money out of one pocket and putting it back in the other.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,420  
The 2nd graph was a bit more interesting...did the number of 75+ year olds in the workforce almost double vs 10 years ago? Poor financial planning or something else?

I hope, and I mean HOPE that there is a positive reason behind this: It is simply easier to continue working now than it was 10 years ago. Many jobs can now be done from home and schedules have become much more flexible, so working a few more years is more enticing now.

Sometimes we discuss retirement and my friends will say, "I've worked this long to get here, so why quit now?"