Retirement thoughts Past Present Future

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,751  
I moved my 401k from 100% Vanguard retirement fund VTHRX to 100% money market a few days ago. MM is earning about 4% and I'm concerned what 2023/2024 will bring. Only time will tell if this is a good decision or not. I know we're not supposed to try to time the market but 4% sounds pretty good right now.

Kevin
Feeling good about this decision today. The Vanguard 2030 is down from 01/26/23 when I dumped it. Dow is off 2% for the week. Where does it go from here?

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,752  
My last employer had lockers, shower rooms, and uniforms because you'd be so filthy by the end of the shift you'd have to shower or you'd ruin your car seats on the ride home. They let us stop work 15-20 minutes early so we could shower on their time.

So shower in the morning before breakfast, off to work, get filthy, shower at work, head home. Do a bunch of yard work or a hike after work, shower again before bed. Shower shower shower.
My great-uncle was a hoot. He said he worked at a small restaurant many years ago with this guy who never took a bath. He would wash his socks in the dish washer. Everyone called him "Filthy McNasty".

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,753  
I worked at a Newspaper for 30 years. One word....

INK!

A good friend of mine was working on a blue ink storage tank when the pump exploded. Soaked right through his uniform. He looked like a smurf! Even after showering many times, he was blue tinged for a few days.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,754  
I worked at a Newspaper for 30 years. One word....

INK!

A good friend of mine was working on a blue ink storage tank when the pump exploded. Soaked right through his uniform. He looked like a smurf! Even after showering many times, he was blue tinged for a few days.
Great memories from your post. I was a Printer's Devil during my highschool years.

Cleaning out the ports on the intertype, the journeyman pulled the cast lever, and molten lead covered my hands and arms.

So much fun...

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,755  
Great memories from your post. I was a Printer's Devil during my highschool years.

Cleaning out the ports on the intertype, the journeyman pulled the cast lever, and molten lead covered my hands and arms.

So much fun...
Yikes!

Lead was phased out before I got there. There were a lot of pigs laying around. 1/2 pigs made great door stops. And 2 half pigs fit nicely in the bottom of vending machines to weigh them down. I was involved with converting the last press unit from lead to flexo.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,756  
My great-uncle was a hoot. He said he worked at a small restaurant many years ago with this guy who never took a bath. He would wash his socks in the dish washer. Everyone called him "Filthy McNasty".

Hey! I got a picture of his car back in 1974 when I attended Evel Knievel's Snake River jump.......
2022-12-24-0007r.jpg

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future
#1,757  
I have found this guy to give good advice on social security issues and retirement issues in general.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,758  
I have never understood not showering before bedtime. Never. Why the He** would I want to smell myself all night? I just don't get it.... Doesn't matter what job I have.

So let's see,,,,, active all day even if at a desk,,, no shower at night,,,, so I take all that activity to bed with me.

So let's see,,,,, active all day even if at a desk,,, shower before bedtime,,,,, so I am clean an odor free to sleep with.
In addition, I've been told that if you are an allergy sufferer (which I am sometimes to something) you should shower before bedtime as your hair collects all kinds of pollens or irritants all day then at night you roll around on the pillow and inhale them or get in your eyes.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,760  
So, shower before you retire then...?
There was a time when I was earning my retirement; there was 16 or 17 straight hours, sloshing through a seemingly endless N/W Florida swamp...we spent so much time in theigh-waist deep water (muck), there wasn't a place to drop our drawers, so we had to unblouse our jungle boots and relieve ourselves into our trousers...

That year, I went two full months without a typical shower...😂