Retirement thoughts Past Present Future

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,041  
Ah yes but if Florida is like Texas, they get their money from extremely high property taxes, $1000 auto registration, and many other user fees. You have to pay to drive on many urban roads in Texas.
Just stop....Texas does not charge that much for vehicle registration. This is a current bill for annual registration.
20220707_190523.jpg

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,042  
It's always been that way. We buried more friends in the first 5 years out of HS than in the years since then.
Wow! We had a 20 year HS reunion. I see a table set up with pictures and candles...stupid me I thought "how romantic"! Nooooo...those were students who passed.
A friend was my HS physics lab partner. He became our county sheriff. I asked him why no 30 year reunion? "Too many have passed" he replies. So no 40 or 50 reunion. 50 should be a big deal!
Anyway...my wife & I together 50 years this year! It seems like yesterday.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,043  
Just stop....Texas does not charge that much for vehicle registration. This is a current bill for annual registration.
View attachment 753215
You son-of-b****
Texas is a great state...you're so lucky (except you guys need to lock the basement door!).

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,045  
Several years ago we were thinking of returning to Texas. I began looking at vehicle registration costs and also thought they were ridiculously high. In Texas, you are paying sales tax on new or used vehicles and this is how it is normally collected, thru DMV.

Last edited:
   / Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,046  
My

My son’s new truck was nearly $1000 to register in Austin.
Post the registration like I did. He may have paid sales tax, but $1000 would mean he only paid $16k.

There are small differences by county, but no way his registration was $1000.

Austin is in Travis County. Here is what they say:

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,047  
You son-of-b****
Texas is a great state...you're so lucky (except you guys need to lock the basement door!).
But, we don't have many basements. Believe me, I wanted one when we moved here. We get tornadoes, but few basements exist due to soil issues....oh, you meant something else.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,048  
But, we don't have many basements. Believe me, I wanted one when we moved here. We get tornadoes, but few basements exist due to soil issues....oh, you meant something else.
Grandmother had a storm shelter in west Texas. Snakes and spiders scared me worse than the Tornadoes.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,049  
Several years ago we were thinking of returning to Texas. I began looking at vehicle registration costs and also thought they were ridiculously high. In Texas, you are paying sales tax on new or used vehicles and this is how it is normally collected, thru DMV.
Maybe that’s why my son’s registration was so high; it included sales tax.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,050  
You pay the sales tax once. When you first buy the vehicle. its separate from the fee to Register the MV.
That yearly fee runs about $75 on my 2011 Chev 2500 as well as my 1995 Chev 1500.

Our MVR fees are probably not the cheapest but I don’t think they are particularly onerous.

Sales tax on MV sales is 6.5%.