restoring fields

/ restoring fields #1  

IloveJesus

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mccormick 40 hp, Jinma 284
Hi everyone, thanks all for responding to my earlier thread. I found someone to hay my fields this year, so that saves me from having to buy all the equipment. Now I have to restore my fields, because they were let go. My question is what alternative do I have to spraying round up? Are there natural ways of restoring the field? One guy suggested round up and no till drill!! ( I'm not a big fan of round up), another suggested that the only way with no round up is to turn over and rework the field, which I am ok with, but wont the weeds all come back? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

/ restoring fields #2  
Don't discount round-up or its generic. The only other way is tillage. But every time you disturb the soil weed seeds will sprout. Some seeds can lay in the soil for 50 years before sprouting.
I let a field go to weeds and then killed it with round-up. After everything died, I no-till drilled grass seed though the dead weeds. I'm glad the weeds were there since heavy rains would have washed my seed and soil away. The weeds acted as mulch to hold everything together while the grass sprouted.

/ restoring fields #4  
Here in old Ky, when I renovate, which may be the same as your restore, pasture/hay ground I bring the fertility and pH up to maximum and reseed. When I do this then "good" stuff can outcompete or outgrow the "bad" stuff. I do spot spray my pastures and hay ground with "Crossbow" or some type of 2,4D product for brush, thistles, briars, multiflora roses etc. About the only time I use Roundup or like product is around barnes or buildings and spots of Johnsongrass in fields.

/ restoring fields #5  
I have fescue to get get of forever. Any thoughts on chemicals to use?

/ restoring fields
Thanks hosspuller, yea my neighbour tilled his field about two years ago without roundup and yellow mustard (I presume it was yellow mustard) came up everywhere. Now he has got soy planted and looks good, not sure if he ended up putting on round up or not!

/ restoring fields
@mikehaugen, too big of an area, roughly about 20 acres

/ restoring fields
Thanks Soggy Bottom, good advice. I'll look into it!!

/ restoring fields #9  
Hi everyone, thanks all for responding to my earlier thread. I found someone to hay my fields this year, so that saves me from having to buy all the equipment. Now I have to restore my fields, because they were let go. My question is what alternative do I have to spraying round up? Are there natural ways of restoring the field? One guy suggested round up and no till drill!! ( I'm not a big fan of round up), another suggested that the only way with no round up is to turn over and rework the field, which I am ok with, but wont the weeds all come back? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Depends on the type of weeds. Around here we have mostly fiddleneck and yellow star thistle. The star thistle is no problem for dry farming hay crops (oats, beardless wheat). We plant in Oct and bale in early May (our rainy season). The star thistle is a hot weather weed that grows in the summer (June-Sept). Fiddleneck germinates earlier in the year (Jan-Feb) and can contaminate the crop. Milestone herbicide will control fiddleneck and not bother the hay crop. If the fiddleneck contamination is minor, most folks just bale it along with the hay crop and use it for sheep and goat feed.

/ restoring fields #10  
ILJ,

I think I have the same goal in mind and I'm also not too interested in using chemicals. I have about 50 acres of timothy with a variety of weeds. I haven't identified all of them but some in the majority are queen anne lace, golden rod, alder, burdock, thistle, a variety of wild berries.... I'd say I have about a 10% weed infestation right now. I haven't done much research on the best methods, but I'm going the mechanical route with mowing and hand removal. We have a lot of grassland birds, fowl, deer, moose etc that I want to consider also. The alder catkins are a moose favorite, the berries seem to attract song birds. Let us know if you find anything (reference) comprehensive on what you're trying to do.

http://www.uwex.edu/ces/crops/uwforage/nonchem.pdf
Mechanical weed control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited: