Replacing wheel on gator after flat

/ Replacing wheel on gator after flat #11  
Take "lug bolt" to auto parts store and see if the have a "stud" (headless bolt) that fits the hub.... Cut screw driver slot in stud so it can be easily removed once other lug bolts are in place and holding wheel...

/ Replacing wheel on gator after flat #12  
A drift pin would work also. Stick it through the wheel rim first, then through the wheel hub. It will help lift the wheel and alien it at the same time.

/ Replacing wheel on gator after flat #13  
I have a question about putting a repaired tire back on a gator. At 81 and a female, I find it hard to hold up the tire with my feet while locating the first hole in which to put the first lug bolt. It means sitting on the ground and using a flashlight until you line it all up. Getting up is a ***** once I have suceeded. If the gator is on a slightly slanted area, it is extremely hard to keep the tire flush and line up the holes which was the case today. Doing it on a flat space is best but we don't always chose where we have a flat. Is it possible to get a headless bolt the same size, to screw in the top hole to hang the wheel on, rotate the wheel and get it flush without having to hold it up, in order to start the other lug bolts? Then remove that headless one and replace with regular bolt. On cars the lug bolts stick outward and the tire does not have to be supported once the wheel is on the bolts. Would I have to cut the head off a correct size lug screw or do they sell something like that. I would not want to put anything else in the hole for fear of messing up the threads when the tire is hung on the headless bolt.

Sammie
Do what I, another in the eighties person did. I took one of the stud bolts to a nuts and bolts sale place. I told the counter gentleman what I wanted. He laughed and said old VW owner had the same problem. He took the lug bolt went to the back and came back with a lug bolt stud and two lug nuts.

He advise the two lug nuts were needed to place on the stud, tightening them together which would prevent them from spinning when using the outer nut to enable the stud to be screwed into the hub and tightened enough to properly secure the stud. He advised once the stud is installed, hold the inner nut and remove the outer nut then remove the inner nut, keeping one of the nuts for a spare to use if I needed to do the same on the other wheel(s).

If you do not have a nuts and bolt place consider Auto-Zone, Advance, NAPA, O'Riley's etc. and ask for a lug stud and two nuts. (Not referring to three males either :D)

Addendum:

Just thought of this. Be sure your lug nut matches your lug bolt.
1660774278772.jpeg

Last edited: