Replacing radiator

/ Replacing radiator #1  

BurningBushFarm

Silver Member
Tractor
YM2000D
Hey y'all -- Some of you may remember last year my "new" 2000D was running hot. The light would come on (no gauge). We did the flushes (brown results, all the time), the wetter (or whatever that red stuff is), keeping the screen clean, etc.

The warning light will come on everytime I use it -- and after just 20 - 30 minutes, so I am unable to get whatever the job is done at one time. Not even 1/2 acre of bush hogging the other day.

Annoying. :mad:

The IR gadget usually pick up 187- 190 degrees near the front injector.

So anyway, the top of the radiator has developed a leak and it seemed to me not worth boiling it or rodding it out with a leak (it's not the cap, it's a crack in the top front of the thing). Then again, it is, of course, more than 35 years old ....

So I ordered a radiator from Hoye, but did not order the hoses. Husband thinks we should replace hoses while we are at it. Do I have to get them from Hoye or is there another source for them? There is a compact dealer not too far away (used to sell Yanmar) who I will call tomorrow.

What say ye?

(Thanks.)

/ Replacing radiator #2  
Replace all hoses, including bypass if it has one.

/ Replacing radiator #3  
Welcome home!

I recommend replace all the hoses to complete this cooling system overhaul. Then you will have years of reliable use.

I found that the lower hoses for that model go into such a tight space that I can't imagine fitting anything but the correct-application hoses in there. And using the correct upper hose isn't going to cost more than something you might 'cut it four times to fit and it's still too short'.

You may even find YM240 (same tractor) listed in US vendors application charts. I know that is the case for fan belts. If the hoses don't turn up locally, it is worth it to wait a couple of days for Hoye parts to arrive.

Doing it right is easier than doing it over.

/ Replacing radiator #4  
   / Replacing radiator #6  
Yea prolly should of ordered them from hoye to save another $15 shipping fee. You can prolly go to napa or carquest and order one from them and have it in a day or 2 no shipping. Just have them look up a ym240 yanmar like Cali said. They list this model and can look up things, not saying they have rad hoses for it but they may be able to get them. They do have oil, fuel filters and sure they list a belt.

But again they hoses are really tight on the lower end so its not worth your time to find something in my opinion, that ussually costs me more to begin with if i try to do that.

Also if it is a vn import it would have had new hoses then put on it. But anyway, if it were me and i wanted it running i would not hesitate for a second to put the old ones back on and run it even for a year. Order the hoses when u wish and just drain your coolant into a clean bucket and then reuse it. When i worked at my fatherinlaws shop they did it all the time when radiators had to be removed for clearance. If the owner did not ask or did not want to pay for new coolant the old went right back in depending upon who worked on it.

/ Replacing radiator #7  
Also if it is a vn import it would have had new hoses then put on it.
Uh ... sometimes. I've seen VN 'Reconditioning' that was electrical tape wrapped expertly in a spiral for the length of the upper hose.

Also if the lower hoses haven't been removed for a few decades they may be fused on solid, or may be too stiff to remove/replace without destroying them. BTDT.

/ Replacing radiator #8  
True about the fused or stiff hoses. I think if proper antifreeze is in them though they will be fine for decades, i have some i have not replaced on my stuff in years and still pliable. Guess i cant speak for all vn reconditioners, but mine i think came from the one who is now out of business (im talking the major reconditioners not the sale lots) it had brand new china made LCI hoses on it and so did the ones i looked at onthe lot at purchase time.

/ Replacing radiator #9  
Sounds like you got a quality rebuilt.

My YM240 was badly neglected for years because it was used very few hours in those years. It didn't have much wear but it had several issues to fix - bad fuel, fused hoses, etc - as a consequence.

Hopefully hers is more like yours.

/ Replacing radiator #10  
i think a fair few of us got good units and the "rebuilds" were good, either that or the tractors themselves were good to start with. my radiator appears to be in really good condition, it may have been a reco unit. mine has never run hot even on extremely hot days pulling the slasher. just make sure the coolant/water ratio is right and it will serve you well.