Replacing NH 1715 (1520) single clutch question.

/ Replacing NH 1715 (1520) single clutch question. #1  

Kosmo

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford/NH 1715
Hi all,

I've just got back to working on my 1715 tractor after about 6 months of sitting. I had to replace the thrust bearing and since i was splitting the tractor I had the whole clutch sent out and rebuilt also last spring. Anyway I bolted up the tractor again and decided to check operation before I started putting things back together and noticed that I don't seem to have any contact with the clutch until only the very last quarter inch of pedal travel. The adjustment screw is also at its limit. I tried rolling the tractor in gear and pushing in the clutch and still doesn't release when I push the clutch pedal down. It will roll in neutral. My only conclusion, knowing that everything was installed correctly, is that the release lever height was not brought to specs when the clutch was done. I neglected to check the release lever height before installing as I didn't have the FNH 1300 gauge or the height spec, and simply assumed it would be set at the shop (not something I would normally do). Anyone know if this is the only explanation or is there something else I might be missing. Thanks for your input. Oh yeah, and if anyone knows the height spec, please chime in because the manual doesn't give it. It only says to check it using tool # FNH 1300. Thanks again for any input at all.

/ Replacing NH 1715 (1520) single clutch question.
Hi all,

I've just got back to working on my 1715 tractor after about 6 months of sitting. I had to replace the thrust bearing and since i was splitting the tractor I had the whole clutch sent out and rebuilt also last spring. Anyway I bolted up the tractor again and decided to check operation before I started putting things back together and noticed that I don't seem to have any contact with the clutch until only the very last quarter inch of pedal travel. The adjustment screw is also at its limit. I tried rolling the tractor in gear and pushing in the clutch and still doesn't release when I push the clutch pedal down. It will roll in neutral. My only conclusion, knowing that everything was installed correctly, is that the release lever height was not brought to specs when the clutch was done. I neglected to check the release lever height before installing as I didn't have the FNH 1300 gauge or the height spec, and simply assumed it would be set at the shop (not something I would normally do). Anyone know if this is the only explanation or is there something else I might be missing. Thanks for your input. Oh yeah, and if anyone knows the height spec, please chime in because the manual doesn't give it. It only says to check it using tool # FNH 1300. Thanks again for any input at all.

After talking to the shop that did the work, the tech indicated that the clutch plate itself may have been installed "wrong side facing the flywheel" even though I distinctly remember a sticker indicating which side to place toward the flywheel. I guess I could have mixed it up in my manipulations (I had to remove and reattach because some the replacement pressure plate mounting holes needed to be bored slightly) or maybe the techs weren't quite paying attention or maybe that's not even the issue. I'll have to wait til I get back and take it out again. Still looking for other ideas if you got em.

O.K. Still need help here. Switching the clutch plate around did not fix the problem. Now there seems to be no contact of the thrust bearing with the clutch fingers. Any ideas would be appreciated. I'll try this post over on the Ford NH forum.

To finalize this post, I returned clutch and shop admitted that finger height setting was about 1/4" low. They said it should have been set to correct specs, but somehow fell through the cracks, and they were very apologetic. So check your finger height before buttoning up your tractor.

Got clutch back in this weekend and buttoned up. Works perfectly!