Replacing backhoe bucket teeth

/ Replacing backhoe bucket teeth #1  

CarlL

Tractor
Terramite T9
The teeth on my backhoe bucket were worn down to knubs, so i decided it was time to replace them. For those who might want to do this, here is a little info from my experience.
1. The teeth are 156 series pin on. I got a set of 5 x156 teeth with pins off of eBay for $25 plus shipping. These are the square ended ones. You can also get the pointed kind.
2. Get a 5/16" one piece steel roll pin punch (The one with a little knub on the point to keep it centered in the pin.)
3. Get a one hand sledge of about 4 lbs.
4. To avoid possibly hitting my hand, I held the punch with a vice grip.
5. You will need an angle grinder to grind down the old tooth caps at the top of the pins to remove the area where they have mushroomed. Do not try to drive the pins out without doing this, it makes the job very hard to impossible.

WEAR EYE PROTECTION!

Take the bucket off of the loader and rest the teeth on a block of wood on the ground to do the work. Do the grinding, center the punch on the pin and slam away with the sledge. With some muscle, they will drive out. You can then drive the caps off with a hammer and chisle. Clean up the dirt, put the new teeth on and drive in the new pins. Don't worry about the teeth being loose. The new pins will mushroom out and the teeth will tighten due to dirt, as you use them.

Boy, do those new teeth improve the digging capability.

Hope this helps somebody.

/ Replacing backhoe bucket teeth #2  
this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif

Pictures man!

/ Replacing backhoe bucket teeth #4  
I understood what you posted, but then I already knew how to do what you described. You gave a pretty good description.

James K0UA

/ Replacing backhoe bucket teeth #5  
the 156 series teeth might be helpful information to others....if we knew what backhoe you were working on:D

/ Replacing backhoe bucket teeth #6  
Sorry Man, no pictures available. Tried to be clear in what I posted. If there are any questions, just ask.

i think there's been a misunderstanding. I was speaking more along the lines of admiring someones work with a write up with pictures. not that I didn't understand what was written. trying to share in the glory. sorry for the confusion.