Replacement oil for MIL-L-46152

/ Replacement oil for MIL-L-46152 #11  
AlanB said:
Most compressors are not very fussy as to what they run though.

yep.

aint talking about the space shuttle.

/ Replacement oil for MIL-L-46152
Found a buddy who works for a local oil supplier and ended up with a 5 gal bucket of 10W motor oil with the right API rating delivered to my shop for $36. Not bad.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

/ Replacement oil for MIL-L-46152 #13  
Gary, I just bought an old Ingersol compressor ,and it sounds like we both own the same thing. Mine does not seem to have an automatic blow down valve and if you stop the engine with the
air valves closed it will blow the compressor oil back out of the air intake. It seems to work ok if you stop the engine with the air valves open. I was just wondering if yours does that too, or
if you knew anything about it. Thanks, JSr {new member}

/ Replacement oil for MIL-L-46152 #14  
Found a buddy who works for a local oil supplier and ended up with a 5 gal bucket of 10W motor oil with the right API rating delivered to my shop for $36. Not bad.
Kl4IhB

Oi6tTM

j8cu

/ Replacement oil for MIL-L-46152 #15  
Our IR compressors required a synthetic IR oil to maintain the warranty on the compressor... FWIW, the IR stuff was red and about the consistency of auto trans. fluid... but I think its actually more of an engine oil.
Our new Vanair screws require a very specific synthetic oil as well....

/ Replacement oil for MIL-L-46152 #16  
Hey guys, I'm changing the compressor oil in my Ingersol-Rand air compressor. The information tag on the door says use a MIL-L-46152 SAE 10W oil for the compressor. This is a 1980s vintage air compressor so I think this specification is obsolete. Anyway, it looks like transmission fluid and probably is, but I know there are different types. I'm going to make a run into town tomorrow to look for a 5 gallon bucket. If anyone knows of a current spec to look for, please let me know. Thanks.

This compressor uses dexron iii. Replaces dexron ii
Transmission fluid.
Go to 301 Moved Permanently and under mamuals there isa manual for this comressor.
Good luck

/ Replacement oil for MIL-L-46152 #17  
Actually this particular spec was cancelled on 31 Oct 91 and the cancellation letter said to use the CID (Commercial Item Designation) spec A-A-52039 which was Automotive engine oil API spec SG.

If you came to me asking for this, we would give you Rotella 10wt in a commercial designation or I would give you Mil-PRF-2104 10wt in a MIL-spec Oil as we stock for Tactical vehicles.

Most compressors are not very fussy as to what they run though.

ir p185wir oil.JPG

/ Replacement oil for MIL-L-46152 #18  
Our old ir specs dextron 2 or mil spec oil. Our miller bobcat screw compressor specs atf. To be honest screw compressors will run on any thinner non foaming oils. All the special name brand oils are just ways for companies to charge 10x more for oil and get out of warranties.
20240305_175443.jpg