replacement cab speakers for 5740

/ replacement cab speakers for 5740 #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
it looks like the oem speakers are four inches. Has anyone replaced the cab speakers and
was the mount conventional? thanks Drew
and if you replaced them, please tell me you don't have to take the roof off...

/ replacement cab speakers for 5740 #2  
Check the posts by 4shorts on his L5740 mods, he's done a LOT of great mods and can help you, I never listen to my radio.

/ replacement cab speakers for 5740
thanks, I have and his work is amazing, and the roof came off, which I'm trying to avoid. I'll email him directly; I'm sure he remembers what he put in, plus a subwoofer.
I think the oem speakers were designed for the weather report, otherwise they're pretty tinny, which I would expect from their size. I was hoping to listen to some nice folk and country music
while mowing the fields, gets a bit boring going round and round at times...

/ replacement cab speakers for 5740 #4  
Well sir thanks for the compliment on my work. I did some research and found two related threads that will help you out. The first one is my thread and the second one is our friends High Compressions thread.
You'll HAVE to remove the roof but its very easy to do. I can remove the roof in less than ten minutes. You remove most all the bolts up on the head liner. The socket size is 10mm. I say "most" but not all. There will be two on each door opening area that can stay in so basically four will stay in. Those bolts will be identified by ten being short bolts so if you remove a bolts and its short just put it back in and move on to the next bolt will be a long one. The short bolts keep the head liner in place and the long ones keep the roof on.
Once you have the long bolts out just simply get your ladder and pull up on the roof. It might be stuck to the cab because of the foam but just pull up lightly then lift the roof off. I do it by myself and if I can do it, anyone can :laughing:

The rest of the info will be in the two threads. I do doubt you'll ever get a sub woofer installed. Just no space but hey, I've been wrong before :eek:

Oh. I listen to county, rock, hard rock, heavy metal and even sheet metal :laughing:

Hope this helps.
Cheers. Paul

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/195848-time-upgrade.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/232945-l5740-radio-speakers-were-next.html

See. Nutt'en to it :laughing:

b5.jpg

Paul,
I like the Infinity speakers, have some, plus some Klipsch in the home. BUT, I am NOT taking that roof off to replace two tiny speakers.
If the four screws are undone, doesn't the oem speaker "fall out" like most do, with the wires either soldered or with slip on connectors to the speakers?
Please say yes...
You clearly have the skill to do this. I don't, really..., nor a nice clean spot to work in. I'd drop half those screws into either gravel or field grass, I'd rumple
the headliner, create permanent squeaks, and get thoroughly pissed at myself for
mucking up my new tractor.

THANK YOU for such a complete explanation. I'll read the rest of the "similar threads" too, but looking at the pics you posted, showing what I considered a "normal" speaker, I'm just amazed one can't do this from the front.
Do you remember if the oem's were 4 or 8 ohm speakers?
Thanks again. Drew

/ replacement cab speakers for 5740 #6  
Paul,
I like the Infinity speakers, have some, plus some Klipsch in the home. BUT, I am NOT taking that roof off to replace two tiny speakers.
If the four screws are undone, doesn't the oem speaker "fall out" like most do, with the wires either soldered or with slip on connectors to the speakers?
Please say yes...
You clearly have the skill to do this. I don't, really..., nor a nice clean spot to work in. I'd drop half those screws into either gravel or field grass, I'd rumple
the headliner, create permanent squeaks, and get thoroughly pissed at myself for

THANK YOU for such a complete explanation. I'll read the rest of the "similar threads" too, but looking at the pics you posted, showing what I considered a "normal" speaker, I'm just amazed one can't do this from the front.
Thanks again. Drew

Drew I know your going to hate me BUT the roof has to come off. You won't even get the grills off without the roof off because the nuts will turn and you can't get at them without the roof off :eek:
Even IF you got the grills off the speaker still won't drop through the headliner. Sorry but ....:confused3:
Seriously. There's nothing to it. A dozen bolts and lift the roof off. If I remember correctly the speakers are 8 ohm's.
Look. Lay down a tarp, get a 1/4 drive ratchet and a 1/4 drive 10 mm socket, remove the bolts. Get your ladder, get your butt up that ladder and lift down the roof. Speakers have push on female plugs.

Come on. Take a walk on the wild side and get ER done.
I'm telling ya, Nutten to it :confused3:

/ replacement cab speakers for 5740 #7  
Paul,
Please say yes...

Thanks again. Drew

Drew I know your going to hate me BUT the roof has to come off. You won't even get the grills off without the roof off because the nuts will turn and you can't get at them without the roof off :eek:
Even IF you got the grills off the speaker still won't drop through the headliner. Sorry but ....:confused3:
Seriously. There's nothing to it. A dozen bolts and lift the roof off. If I remember correctly the speakers are 8 ohm's.
Look. Lay down a tarp, get a 1/4 drive ratchet and a 1/4 drive 10 mm socket, remove the bolts. Get your ladder, get your butt up that ladder and lift down the roof. Speakers have push on female plugs.

Come on. Take a walk on the wild side and get'er done.
I'm telling ya, Nutten to it :confused3:

/ replacement cab speakers for 5740 #8  
Here's a photo of the speaker and how it's mounted. The roof has to come off :eek:

re6.jpg

/ replacement cab speakers for 5740 #9  
You really shouldn't worry about removing the roof. I did even though I saw 4shorts detail and all I got was loose speaker bolts so I had to remove the roof after all. Once I found out it was so easy I have had mine off a few more times to trace down wires. First time I got my wife to help me line it back up but that taught me it is easier to do it by myself rather than explain to her what I am doing.

Ok, I'll suck it up and try. I like music enough to do it, and as long as the headliner doesn't fall down (I've worked on boat headliners which are nightmares) this seems doable. Looks like I need two big stepladders, which I have, and a good friend to help me, which thankfully I also have. How heavy is the roof? Once you got it loose, how did two guys on different sides of a tall tractor get it down? Or did you just move it out of the way? Just trying to think before I unscrew...
Though I'm looking again at Paul/4Shorts on top of his tractor and the roof doesn't look all that big. Maybe just the idea seems BIG to me... And no leaks when done? Is there caulk or foam insulation around the edge to contend with, or does the roof overlap enough to make that unnecessary? Also wondering if once the roof is off, maybe a layer of Soundown insulation on top might help quiet the cab, though likely the noise comes in from elsewhere.

Thanks guys. Maybe I just needed some moral support here, and your pics are super helpful.